Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions >

Questions

Questions

Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S
If those batting strips are wide enough, I've been using them to cut covers for my Swiffer duster - they pick up a lot of dust and I have a lot of hardwood floors. That's an idea I got from somebody's post on here a few months ago.
What kind of batting do you use???
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM

All of my beautiful doll quilts are hanging in the hall right outside my sewing room. We live in a very old house and this hall was "remodeled" by hubby (before I knew him) with paneling (yuck). Anyway, the house will be torn down in a few years to make way for a bigger highway so I'm not concerned about "hurting" the walls in any way. I use push pins and rearrange them at will :D
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 AM

I use the thin strips to fit on my duster. the kind you buy pads for....W & N really picks up the dust LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I use the thin strips to fit on my duster. the kind you buy pads for....W & N really picks up the dust LOL
OMG -- Am gonna have to try this for sure as I have plenty of dust as well as left over batting strips :lol: :lol:
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I use leftover batting as the (how shall I say this) ---I wind it around my finger so that the thimble is more snug. My favorite thimble is one that Jim bought me. It is just a teensy bit large so I use the batting to make up the difference.

I have almost always pulled my backs tight to tape down. In the beginning, I did not and had to redo them.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM

A quilt appraiser taught me this: use the strips of batting for storing quilts. When I am folding the quilt, I put batting strips where the fold is. This makes a rounded fold rather than one that gets squashed down and makes a crease in the quilt.

You only need to bat the first few folds, after that the quilt is thick enough that the folds won't squash down.

I have quite a few quilts that are folded and this is a great method. I also take them out every few months and fold them differently (with batting) to even-out the pressure on the fabric.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 AM

If the leftover batting is way too small to use, I put it out (torn up) for the birds in the spring. I use 100 percent natural cotton batting and they LOVE it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I don't save batting strips, I'd be kneed deep in them because I'd never use them. I don't lay out my quilt for basting anymore. I use Sharon Schamber's board method or I put it in a no basting quilt frame and baste it that way. I would certainly show off the doll quilts!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM

I save reasonably large pieces of batting. I use them to practice FMQ and also to check if things are set up right before working on my project. By that I mean, I make a small quilt sandwich and stitch a line or so to see if the tension is right, etc. And invariably, I'm doing a small project and want to have a small piece of batting. And they can also be used as stuffing in some projects.

As for stretching the back, I did that the first time I did FMQ and everything worked fine. But then I read the same tip, and so never did it again. I didn't notice a difference, except that it was easier to make the quilt sandwich if I didn't bother pulling the thing taut.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM

[quote=Pam S]If those batting strips are wide enough, I've been using them to cut covers for my Swiffer duster - they pick up a lot of dust and I have a lot of hardwood floors. That's an idea I got from somebody's post on here a few months ago.

Great idea, Pam S. We live in a very dusty area so I have dust laying on my hardwood floors all the time. Thanks.