Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions >

Questions

Questions

Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM

That's a wonderful idea! Thanks so much!
[quote=Windy Canyon]
Originally Posted by Pam S
If those batting strips are wide enough, I've been using them to cut covers for my Swiffer duster - they pick up a lot of dust and I have a lot of hardwood floors. That's an idea I got from somebody's post on here a few months ago.

Great idea, Pam S. We live in a very dusty area so I have dust laying on my hardwood floors all the time. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Great idea about using on the Swiffer. I too have hardwood floors in a very dusty place...Bakersfield is in the middle of agriculture and mountains, and we are very dusty!!

And I also save the strips to use for purse/tote handles.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I never pull too tight.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimer girl
1. what do you do with the thin strips of batting you cut off the quilts once your binding is sewed on?
some people collect them and use them to stuff dog beds for the shelter

2. I just read that you shouldn't stretch your back as you tape it to the table as it distorts it. I pull mine as taut as possible working from the opposite middles to the corners, so that the back will be perfectly smooth. And you also shouldn't pull on your batting and top. I smooth both pieces out to the edges to get out any wrinkles ....apparently this also distorts the whole thing. I am now using spray basting instead of pinning and it is sooo much easier. Am I doing it wrong?
sounds great to me

3. And my last question is ....what can I do with my great little quilts from the doll quilt swaps...I do not have a sewing room...sob!
donate them to children for their dolls??

Thanks sooo much for any help you can offer....Hugs SG
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Recently I cut up a whole bunch of batting scraps and then made a muslin cover to enclose them for the inside of a floor pillow. I then used scraps to make a scrappy cover. I intend to make some more and give them to the grandchildren for t.v. watching.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM

I like to cut my long, unuseable strips of batting into 5" squares to make those nice coasters for wine glasses. I also make them in packs of 4 or 8 to give as gifts. Shut-ins love them with some tea bags and a couple of cups for entertaining visitors.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Usually when I cut those strips of batting there is fabric attached to it cuz I use basting spray. I use them to practice my FMQ to check on the tension etc., check if I like a certain decorative stitch and make any adjustments b4 I go to my project.

Or I save them and stitch them together for other projects.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM

1. I save decent sized pieces of batting to use for smaller projects like hot pads, pot holders and table runners. I save some smaller size ones to fill handmade pin cushions with...I call them pin pillows.

2. I try to pull my backs as tight as possible without stretching them. I then smooth out as I go, keeping it taut, otherwise it will pucker. I think you are making your backings fine.

3. As far as the doll quilts go, I would use your little tiny leftover pieces of batting and make small stuffed animals to go with your doll quilts. My son was in Children's hospital for quite some time and he got a little stuffed bear that he loves dearly. Being a mom with a child in the hospital, it was so nice to think of a stranger thinking of my sick baby. A little something for him was so special. The auxillary club provided little things for siblings too. Someone had embroidered "I'm with the patient" on the chest of many of these animals so their siblings could get something too.....just a thought.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I use strips of batting in quilts when I strip quilt. I also use them in smaller projects like pot holders, wall hangings, etc.

There's a slight difference between stretching to make sure there's no wrinkles and stretching to the point of distortion. As long as what you're doing is working for you then it's okay.

Hang them on a wall, use them for gifts, donate them to a children's home, or put a doll or stuffed animal in them and donate them to a hospital.
If you have several, put a doll or stuffed animal in them and
donate them to an orphanage. We do that here with the
Moosehart Orphanage.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM

I've been saving strips of batting for purse straps and for practicing my machine quilting on, along with long strips of muslin. As for the doll quilts, I would frame them and display them on a table or shelf along with some dolls. Send us a picture.