Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have? >

Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have?

Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 AM

1. How do you define a WIP? started
2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have?6
3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have?2
4. What stages are most of your WIPs in?different stages. Some waiting to be sandwiched and some waiting just to be finished.
5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once?6
6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects? write them in a folder
7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own? do not know
8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project? not enough
9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books?files in folders
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

1. How do you define a WIP?
to me a WiP is a project i am actively working on- started but not finished (as in Work in Progress- progress is happening) (as apposed to a ufo which is not being worked on- of which i have 4 which may or may not ever be finished)

2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have?
i have 4 quilt tops to get quilted, i have 3 quilt tops in the works in various stages of completion

3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have ?
(1) a locker hooked rug i use my scrap strips for - it's an on going project
and a table runner from a kit purchased while on vacation

4. What stages are most of your WIPs in?
4 waiting to be quilted,
one center medallion is done- some of the border components, one i row of blocks is complete- lots to go, one stained glass applique is done-

5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once?
sometimes i have a dozen projects going at once- other times only 2 or 3--i always work on multiple projects at once

6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects?
method??? hand work (bindings, english paper piecing ect) i work on while watching baseball games or a movie with hubby or when traveling, i generally have a project to work on during breaks at work- i go into the sewing room & decide - to work on a certain one- until i either reach a point of change, finish, or tired/frustrated- i quilt in order of priority they are stacked under the machine in the order they need to be done in-

7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own? hundreds- maybe a thousand- books- 2 closets- and (3) 7 ft bookshelves. individual patterns maybe only 100-150 (never thought about counting them)

8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project?
most

9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books?
book shelves- large note books with plastic envelope pages
Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Great answers everyone!! I hope some others can pop on and answer too, it'll be fun to compile all the data!!

Rachel
Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM

1. How do you define a WIP? Cutting is not enough for me for quilts. It has to be partially sewn to be a WIP. Otherwise, it is still just a plan.

2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have? Mmm...Well, I have done several block exchanges. So, those have to count. I will say 6, I think.

3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have? Oh, now this is hard. What do I have to count? Just sewing? Then I have 6 right now. But I have 3 crocheting and about 14 scrapbooking, several restorations, etc...I don't even want to think about them!

4. What stages are most of your WIPs in? I have two tops waiting to be quilted, three sets of blocks and one BOM I am doing.

5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once? I refuse to answer on the grounds it might send me over the deep end if I figure this out. Actually, around Christmas I have had up to 20 sewing projects going at once.

6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects? I don't. They are hanging in the closet for me to see or in the appropriate "on going projects" drawer.

7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own? Hmm....I think I have about 6 or 7 patterns and probably 15 books.

8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project? All of the patterns but one and all of the books except the 4 given to me.

9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books? They are on the appropriate shelf. I feel no need to track them.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm so glad to know I am not alone with my WIP's. I consider a WIP anything that has been cut out (no sewing necessary). I keep a going list on my phone -- it may not be accurate (there may be more I am not remembering),but it says I have 58. I have 3 ready for binding, one needing to have only the border quilted (I hate doing my own quilting), and the others in various stages. I didn't know there could be a non-quilting WIP!!! LOL! I think this number is the most I've ever had. (Believe it or not, I've been working on finishing some of them this year!) I have no idea how many patterns and books I have because they are not all in one place. Probably made projects from LESS than a fourth of them, but I look through the books frequently, always finding new things to put on my hope to do list. Now that I have totally humiliated myself with my honesty, I'll get back to sewing -- need to finish a pillowcase to match a quilt I just finished (the one I was working on when we had our virtual sewing Sunday).
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM

I work on one quilt at a time. I finish every quilt and never start a new project until the previous quilt is finished.

I have no non-quilt WIP.

Why am I so different from everyone else? Is anyone else like me?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Once I find a piece of fabric that I LOVE, the process of a WIP is started. From there, I start the hunt for matching colors and the right pattern...not necessarily in that order. I go back and forth with several groups at once. One day I will cut, one day I will iron, empty bobbins and so forth, getting something accomplished step by step. As I keep working, I eventually see the light at the end of tunnel and and will push a little to finish the one the most far along. Right now I cannot start anything until something is finished. But.....this weekend I went to a garage sale and found some gorgeous fabric in 3-4 yd lengths. That's enough to be a back on a lap quilt. It was 50 cents each piece so I ended up with about 18 yds for $3. One particular piece has stirred my search for the next WIP so here we go again!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 AM

I have 3 quilts that are WIP. I have 4 other projects , embroidered place mat sets, that are WIP. I have fabric purchased in case I want to start something, (baby clothes), but until it is cut I don't count it. I have about 20 books, no patterns. I make my quilt patterns looking at the pictures, usually combining several pictures into one pattern.

One quilt WIP is stuffed into a plastic bag. The other two are on two design walls. The placemat sets are on the sewing table, the dining room table and the ironing board! LOL

Last edited by TanyaL; 05-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
I work on one quilt at a time. I finish every quilt and never start a new project until the previous quilt is finished.

I have no non-quilt WIP.

Why am I so different from everyone else? Is anyone else like me?
I know there are others like this too, but it does seem most of us have (many) multiple WIPs.

Rachel
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Interesting questions.

Interesting answers.

I am going to resort to the fifth amendment.