Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilt backing?

Has anyone used a purchased sheet for your quilt backing, and what is your opinion on this. :?:

Blog Entries
    Yes;butit was hard to quilt by hand.

Yes here also. I use a prewashed king size sheet (250 thread count) for the backing on a queen size quilt.
    It feels stiffer...not like the soft muslin backing I usually use and is harder to keep on the bed. The muslin backing seems to cling to the bed better. Also, when I hold that particular quilt up you can see light thru the needle holes...it was machine quilted on a long arm machine. If I plan to tie a quilt instead of quilting it I usually back it with a new sheet. Good results also depends on the quality of the sheet and the mix of fibers it contains.

not a good idea :( :(

Using a bed sheet for the backing for a quilt is only good for utility blanket quilts. The weave of the sheet is different than the weave of yardage. Why waste all the time piecing a quilt top and then use the wrong type fabric for the backing that is too thick and too tightly woven.

Read info on this site
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm

i have been successful with new sheets but only after 2x washing. i bought 200-count cotton on sale at jcpenny - not their best quality to start with - and after washing it was like butter. i lucked out.

but at joann's they have very wide backing in a limited number of prints and colors. usually $9.99 but if you use the 40 off coupon, well..... that actually feels like printed muslin to me but others think not. i like something tighter than muslin for a quilt that gets used.

please remember that the thread count only means the number of threads per square inch. NOT THE DIAMETER OF THE THREADS. so you can pay for a high thread count and still get mediocre goods.

If I'm using it, I have no problem with a sheet as backing. Machine quilt it or tie it and go on with your day.

If it's something nice, I'd go with regular fabric.

I think it's preference. I have used sheets for backings and they are still holding up after about 5 years. We use what we can afford at times. Sometimes we cannot afford fabric for the backing, but using a sheet, fits our budget.

All the time.

Blog Entries
    I think it's a matter of choice. I've used sheets twice. One was hand quilted the other by machine. I had no problems with either. But then, I'm not a quilting perfectionist.

Machine quilt it or tie it and go on with your day. . . . . If it's something nice, I'd go with regular fabric.
    I agree with Arizona Sunrises.