Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt basting spray >

quilt basting spray

quilt basting spray

Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM

So glad to see this topic as I need to get busy with several finished tops. I've used all the sprays talked about and not had problems as long as I don't spray too heavily.
I shop for the best buy**. I found the big can isn't always best.

505 Spray Baste at JoAnn’s
$11.49 for 11.7 oz. = $.98/oz.
**$5.99 for 8½ oz. = $.70/oz.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=488043

505 Spray Baste at Connecting Threads
$10.39 for 6.2 oz. = $1.67/oz.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...x__D20276.HTML
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Just a quick, one pass over the material,top and bottom, not the batting. That is enough to anchor the lot. I then leave it for 24 hours before quilting it, to give it enough time to dry. I find it the best method that I have used.
If you are using a polyester batting, you should not spray on it as the glue (or aerosols in it) will melt or dissolve it. I only ever spray onto the material and then stick it to the batting.There is usually not a problem as I use cotton or wool batting.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM

I use the June Taylor spray and don't have a problem with it. I use it sparingly. A quick spray across fabric, it does not gunk up my needle. I have been using it for three years and never have a problem with it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM

has anyone tried hairspray. Have seen some threads on AquaNet Hairspray. Would like to hear pros and cons.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 PM

I like the way Sharon Schambers bastes her quilts, it is a herring bone stitch which I think is faster especially combined with her way of sandwiching the quilt. She has a video on you tube about it.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM

That stuff in the blue can is basically super glue! YUK. I use Sullivans and have done several quilts from a can, and never get gunked needles.
Usually the worst issues come from using way too much spray .. it is sticky on purpose so GO LIGHT.. and don't worry if you miss a spot - it's going to stay. And don't go back over an area .. that will result in way too much stickyness
Never spray the batting .. ever .. it soaks up that stuff.
Don't tightly tape down the backing before spraying (or pinning for that matter) if it's pulled tight at all you will get wrinkles caused by the fabric snapping back into place when the tension is off.\// I don't tape, but some people feel better doing it :)
Back to the spray ... it's good to get help if you can .. LIGHTLY spray the top and put it aside, LIGHTLY spray the back and float on the batting, then float on the top - before smacking it down try to lift and work out any real problems ... I add pins about every 10-12 inches .. keeps things secure when it gets handled over and over.
I have not had a gunked needle since throwing out the once used can of june tailor (&(&* .. nasty stuff. But it was cheap.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM

i just (tonight, yippee) finished a queen size quilt that I used the dritz brand of spray baste (from joanns).....it worked very well, no odor, held the quilt together (i only sprayed a section at a time)...it was great......i will definately use it again in the future......gina
Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 PM

I have used the June Tailor spray from JoAnn's.i have never had the problems you are having. It sounds like maybe you have sprayed it on too heavily and when it dried it was too thick and gummy to quilt through.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi, if you were addressing me about spraying too heavily, I don't think that was my problem at all - I am the Queen Of Spray Light, Really Light :) My quilty friends think I obsess on that light business,,,, but they all end up agreeing .. less is definately better!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Power Poster

Definitely try another brand. I use the cheap stuff from Walmart or Sulivan. I one time had a sticky brand like you described. Can't remember the name.