Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild etiquette >

quilt guild etiquette

quilt guild etiquette

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 AM

In our guild they show quilts they are giving as gifts all the time. And when you have someone else quilt it you mention their name. Free advertising!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 AM

I would think you could take them if the "piecer" gives you permission. Your business will grow when they see the good work you do, but I don't think show and tell is time for a " commercial" about your business. Our guild has a special part of our newsletter for members who have a business they want to advertise - perhaps your might as well. But if your quilting is on someone else's top, I'd say let them toot your horn.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 AM

At our guild some even bring quilt to sew and tell at the first meeting, some are even visitors not members yet. We have no rules. Showing what you make helps to make you feel welcome.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 AM

Show and tell is the best part of the meeting so by all means share what you have done!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 AM

A lot of people don't realize that Show and Tell isn't all about the "showing". The telling is the most important. When someone shows me their quilt, I want to know a little about the story of it. Why did they make it, etc. But most important yet is what problems did you have making it. We can either learn by hearing about other people's "I wish I had"s and mistakes or we can make our own. LOL
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM

Definitely show them!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm the secretary at our Guild, and the President of our Quilt Club. We encourage show and tell, that's one way to learn and give us ideas. It's a wonderful way of showing who you are. Our group is so diverse, it's wonderful. For example. I don't do large quilts, I'm in a wheel chair and it's just to hard. But I like to make mine from start to finish. So a lap top is as big as I go. But I love paper piecing, and miniatures so make little quilts. I'm awed by some of the large beautiful quilts, and other ladies wouldn't attempt making the miniatures. That's what keeps us having fun. If your quilt guild doesn't do a show and tell, I would be very bored and probably wouldn't stay. Besides if you have a new member who is new to quilting, that is how she learns. And if she's done something that the guild could help her with, that's why we get together. Well I'm off...it's quilt club day, and I've got my show and tell all ready to go.....have fun at your guild. And remember it's "show" so you can bring something to show everyone, and "tell", if you didn't work on anything, do you have a story to tell. It isn't just.....let's look at others!!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Take them with you to the meetings. There is no special etiquette regarding that.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Most quilt guild members love show and tell, it gives everyone there new ideas or perhaps a jump start if they are in a quilting slump. I would not show quilts I have not made myself. Show and tell is a good way to break the ice at guild meetings.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM

We have longarmers in both guilds to which I belong and they show customer's quilts frequently because the quilts are lovely. They always say something like, "This is a customer's quilt and I wanted you to see it before I delivered it." If the longarmer wants to show off my quilt and her quilting at a guild meeting, I am flattered. froggyintexas