Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Journal? >

Quilt Journal?

Quilt Journal?

Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I did but, I no longer because I donate my quilts.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I wish I would have kept a journal/record.

I like the idea of using envelopes. That way you could have as much or little info in them.

What I would do - I think 6x9.5 envelopes are a fairly "common" size - One could have them printed with basic info on them - (I had trip envelopes made up for my husband for while he was an over-the-road truck driver. It had info on it such as date out - date back - destination - a section for fuel costs (gallons and cost, and other expenses - then all the receipts were placed inside the envelope.)

I think that could be adapted for a made item -

Name of item - maybe even have a photo on the outside of the envelope?
What happened to it - (given as a gift, kept, whatever)
Date started
Date finished
Photos

Inside the envelope:
Receipts
Either a sheet of paper or index cards with miscellaneious info on it.
You might also include what else was going on at the time you were working on it - personal, community, or world news.
Samples of fabric and batting.

I think one could use two layers of tape on one edge and punch holes in it so it could be put in a binder.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM

I had good intentions of keeping a quilt journal, but after about 3 quilts, I forgot about it. Besides, it was too small. I should've had a full-size paper thing.

If I had to start again, I think I'd ask myself what I want to remember for each quilt, then create a template on the computer, print a couple copies, and experiment with actually using it as you quilt.

Start date and End date
Size
Fabrics (maybe create a grid for gluing small samples to) or selvedges with enough of the
fabric showing
Recipient
Occasion
Thread (if important)
Special stitches
Problems/challenges (What I'd do differently next time)

And pictures! Printed pictures.

I had a blog over a year ago and had kept better track that way than on paper. But I abandoned my blog (which I sometimes regret because I journaled not only quilting but everyday life and feelings).

So, I guess I wouldn't invest much money . You have to know yourself and what is the fantasy you vs. the real you. The real you will always win out in real life
Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 PM

I was given a quilt journal that is about the size of my address book--it has place for name of quilt, when made, fabrics used, pattern used, "story" about the quilt (I put any inspiration, who it's for, process if there's something signficant and what I learned from making this quilt). I also put down at the bottom which of my 2 kids will inherit the quilt if I'm keeping it for me. Lastly, there's a spot for a picture. The picture is the one part I have trouble keeping up on--I take pictures but most go onto the computer and I don't bother to print them out. I sometimes do a multi-pic print to catch-up.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM

Where possible, I use one of the practice quilting sandwiches to create a mini-sample. I record needle size, thread, tension and other info directly onto the fabric an ink pen. (Naturally won't work with heavy pattern!) Also, there are times when I have dipped one side of the sandwich in hot water and dried it then marked what section is and isn't washed. Then it gets popped into a plastic wallet and stored away. I like to see a physical reminder of what worked and definitely what didn't.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

When I started out, I just had one of those regular journals that people use as a diary. I made note of the size, date finished, what I named it, and who I gave it to. When I got a computer, I put it all there, but made sure to have a copy in a flash drive.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 AM

I keep one. I use it mostly for information because I sell some of my quilts. I put in the name of quilt, date started and finished the top, date started and finished quilting, if quilting was by machine or hand or mix of both, date completely finished, size, name of pattern and where I found it, amount of fabric used and hours of labor, kind of thread I used and estimate of amount, name of recipient and when given or sold. I also leave a space for notes...problems I had, what I would have changed, applique details if applique was used, etc.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 AM

Shoot...I have one somewhere that I started but I have forgotten to keep it up. : /

I staple pieces of fabric to plain copy paper, noted the pattern, date and receiver of the quilt and then slide it into protector sheets inside a three ring binder.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 AM

I had a spiral notebook with info about each quilt - when started/ended, size, etc. I also kept patterns and new techniques as I learned of them (e.g., how to make fast flying geese). It is an invaluable resource. I now have a Lori Smith project planner that works similarly, but I miss the freedom of my spiral notebook and will probably go back to that when the planner is filled up.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 AM

The best I do is take a picture, sometimes in process or most often at end. I do take a picture of everything I make and keep the pictures in a separate folder by year in my documents/pictures on my computer. They are dated and named but that is about it. I do back up periodically but as for the details, if my memory doesn't hold out, they are gone forever.
Gonna check out the quiltalbum app, may be easy way to get those details down.