Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kit. Now what? >

Quilt kit. Now what?

Quilt kit. Now what?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM

I started a quilt kit 2 or 3 days ago, but only begin to cut last night. My pattern used batiks, and it named colors to use for certain blocks. The colors were so close in color I couldn't tell which were which. After reading the directions 3 or 4 times, I took the picture and reprinted it, so I could draw out the design with a thin marker. It made it a lot easier for me to understand. I started cutting last night and will begin to sew this afternoon. Take it slow, 1 step at a time, in the order that they tell you, and you will do fine. I feel your anxiety though.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I received 2 quilt kits for Christmas. They are from connecting threads. The one I want to start with is called 'The Great Frame Up'. The fabrics are beautiful, but the directions are overwhelming! I am so afraid of making the first cut in case I make a mistake! Am I the only one to have this fear?
Doesn't have to be a kit to be overwhelming. I have some material I bought a few years ago that I just LOVE. I didn't have a clue how to go about making a quilt out of it so I decided to make some 'practice' quilts just to get the hang of it. I made 11 for kids, grand kids and great grand kids and I STILL can't bring myself to cut into that special fabric!! :-(

I wonder if I will ever do anything with the material other than admire it. *SIGH*
Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Marcycn sometimes it takes time for the right project to come along. Sometimes you have to make the project come along. If it's a large print try to come up with a quilt that features large panels of the fabric. If you do other types of sewing like clothes, same thing. Find a pattern that will showcase large pieces of it. It doesn't do you any good stored away waiting. I have the same problem with nicely figured wood in my woodworking. I don't want to waste it so it just sits. That's a waste too.
Rodney
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Pic

Here are two panels - total of 8 - two strips, 4 each.
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Those would make a great quilt! How big are the panels? I'd just do some simple sashing around them and some borders. Maybe do some rope quilting on the borders too.
I'm sure others here will have better ideas on how to show them off though.
Rodney
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Without digging them out of the closet.... four down with four next to it down covers a queen bed with sashing in between them. So eight on a bed = queen top. I have some of the material that goes with it to use as sashing/borders but not enough for the backing. I've bought what I think is the closest to use but it's not what I want. One of these days I will wake up with the solution and have the top done in a day or so. :-) I just don't want to screw it up.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM

What great fabric! It is going to be a fabulous quilt when you decide to "go for it."

Dina
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Pyffer3,
I read the pattern 2-3-4 times, what ever it takes to get a good understanding of how to do it. Then take small pieces of paper or post it notes and identify each piece of fabric. I put the name,number or letter and length onto the paper along with the pieces that need to be cut from the selected piece. I keep each separated in a plastic bag which helps when you start to assemble. If there are still questions on the block, I cut one out of construction paper (or other fabric) and sew it together to get a good idea of where it's going. This may seem like a lot of extra steps, but it helps to keep me on track to having the kit work out and also makes sure that the amount of fabric is called for in the pattern is what is actually there. Sometimes there are 2 fabrics that are close in color and measuring them assures that the right piece is being used in the proper place. Hope you find some of this info useful.
Brenda
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been re-reading the instructions today at work and tonight I plan to make my first cut! It can't be that bad and y'all are right, if I mess up I can find something else that will work for the fabrics to finish!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 AM

Any time I'm working on a new block, I always dig into my scrap bin and make the block using what I have on hand. My box of "orphan blocks" keeps getting bigger and bigger, but I have the confidence to work with "real" fabric when I'm done. One of these days I'll have to do something with all the "orphans," right?