Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kit. Now what? >

Quilt kit. Now what?

Quilt kit. Now what?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 AM

It is important to read and re-read as you go and take one step at a time. I like to use notes and plastic bags to keep pieces organized. Be sure to keep the bags well labeled and well marked. If you make a test block thy to find scraps that approximate the colors the real quilt will be or you might be surprised as the outcome. I also like to copy my pattern instructions and keep the copy with the work in progress so I can write all over them as I work. When finished I can throw away those notes and have a nice clean pattern to keep. If I write on the pattern and try to use it again the original marks are very distracting and not necessarily applicable to a new project.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by marcycn View Post
Doesn't have to be a kit to be overwhelming. I have some material I bought a few years ago that I just LOVE. I didn't have a clue how to go about making a quilt out of it so I decided to make some 'practice' quilts just to get the hang of it. I made 11 for kids, grand kids and great grand kids and I STILL can't bring myself to cut into that special fabric!! :-(

I wonder if I will ever do anything with the material other than admire it. *SIGH*
Maybe you won't ever get the nerve to cut into it, but look at all that you got done by just "looking at" that fabric!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 AM

When I am going to make a new pattern I always do a test block out of scrap fabric-- that way I know if I want to make it and if I understand it. Good luck
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM

I do a lot of doodling while reading the instructions of what I think I am understanding, and have even used paper towels to try/illustrate to check out (cut and sew together). Yes, if you have scraps - I would try a block with that to give you confidence in cutting into the kit stuff. Even if the scraps don't match the color - it is the technique you are trying to master. And definitely, you have loads of people here who have been there to help you out.

Marysewfun
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Marcycn sometimes it takes time for the right project to come along. Sometimes you have to make the project come along. If it's a large print try to come up with a quilt that features large panels of the fabric. If you do other types of sewing like clothes, same thing. Find a pattern that will showcase large pieces of it. It doesn't do you any good stored away waiting. I have the same problem with nicely figured wood in my woodworking. I don't want to waste it so it just sits. That's a waste too.
Rodney
Gee, Rodney. I had never looked at it this way.....by not using my special fabrics....that's a waste too!! I will re-think this idea and maybe start coming up with the right project for the right special fabrics. Oh how I hate to cut into the really special ones. tee hee
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by marcycn View Post
I STILL can't bring myself to cut into that special fabric!! :-
You need to use one of those big block patterns. Or try the Easy Breezy pattern -- 2+ yards uncut (depending on how long you want the quilt, 1st border 2" wide, 2nd border piano keys of coordinating fabrics, 6" wide, then 3rd border 2" wide.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I received 2 quilt kits for Christmas. They are from connecting threads. The one I want to start with is called 'The Great Frame Up'. The fabrics are beautiful, but the directions are overwhelming! I am so afraid of making the first cut in case I make a mistake! Am I the only one to have this fear?
Going through the same thing here.
Scared to make the first cut..... I'll do it though...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Or make a test block or two with scrap fabric. This will clarify the steps in your mind and you will gain confidence.
What a great idea .... thank you
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 AM

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__D10417D.HTML Here is a picture of pattern and it does not look too difficult, done one step at a time.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM

I have about 15 quilt kits and didn't know where to begin with them. Thanks to all for hints and ideas to begin how to do these quilts!!!