Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Label >

Quilt Label

Quilt Label

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Would love to do labels, its a crime but I ave never put a label on my quilts. I know ladies "the qulit isnt complete until the label is placed" just never real thought about it before. If someone could tell me how you do it with the muslin and freezer paper I promise to start putting them on. LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

I use Hallmark - print a postcard on fabric backed with freezer paper, also use clip art if can find appropriate picture..then frame it with the binding material.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 AM

I printed mine with my printer, then went over the colors with permanent ink, and did the writing with a fabric pen. Worked for me. Do they even make permanent ink for canon printers?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I design mine in MS Publisher and print on bleached muslin/freezer paper, then slip stitch it to the back of the quilt. I also print and attach a label for my longarmer.

For years, I printed my labels on my ink jet printed onto Printed Treasures paper. Unfortunately, I made a T-shirt quilt for my granddaughter and printed pictures from her high school days and added them to the sashing. My long arm quilter friend asked me if I had set them, which I hadn't. Suggested I soak them in Bubble Jet solution and when I did, all of the pictured faded almost 100%. I had to take the entire quilt apart to remove the pictures. I worry about the many quilts I have made and given away that when their quilts are washed, the labels will fade away. How to you keep your printed labels from fading? I would so much prefer to print them vs. hand writing them.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I design mine in Word, Publisher or Photoshop Elements, depending on how elaborate it's going to be, then print it on fabric designed for the printer. I have found that there are differences in the quality of that fabric though and they affect the way the label looks initially as well as the way it holds up when washed. If you go this route, get a good brand.

My mother, who is still quilting at 88, carefully hand embroiders her labels. They're lovely.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM

I have made two quilt labels by typing what I want it to say in my Microsoft word document. I select the font I want and how big I want the label to be. Then I print it out. I then take 2" clear packing tape and place over the print. Then I take a piece of muslin large enough to fit in an embroidery hoop, some carbon paper (I picked up a box of 25 at a local thrift sale for $1), and place the printout on top of the carbon paper on top of the muslin and traced away. Then I just embroider the label in a complimentary color of the quilt. Then just trim the label down enough to be able to turn under a double 1/4" hem and attach it to the back of the quilt. I also used this method to make a 5th anniversary quilt for my daughter and her husband along with the names and birthdates of the children they had at that time. I also traced the children's hands and embroidered the outline of their hands on the blocks with their names and birthdates. Of course, they received the quilt long after their 5th anniversary because I traced the children's hands right before their anniversary so that it would be close to size as possible but they loved it.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Bubble Jet Set works great - you can also buy from C. Jenkins pre-made sheets.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM

I use label panels. Write the info with fabric pens and sew it on. If I've make a wall hanging and backed it with muslin, then I just write the info on the back with the fabric pen.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

I use fabric treated with Bubble Jet Set that I iron to freezer paper and run through my printer. I leave it on the paper at least overnight before I remove it. Then I heat set it with a hot iron. I use 200 count muslin or a good quilting fabric. Sometimes I put a picture on it too or use fabric from the front-as long as I can read the printing on it. I've only had a problem with one label fading and I think it was because I didn't let it set long enough before I washed it. It bothered me so much that after the baby was born i got the quilt back and made a different label and put that on instead. My DGS quilt is 8 years old and has been washed a gazillion times-you can still read the label.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM

www.connectingthreads.com has label designs available for download. You can print them on fabric.