Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
Ugh, our local thrift stores are no longer taking magazines. Sometimes I don't think they know what they're doing......

Goodwill either. I take my old magazines to the waiting room of a local ortho rehab center.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I used to have many subscriptions to various magazine, but since I'm on a very limited income now I have reduced that number to just 2 or 3 that I like and ones where I find lots of ideas for quilts and quilting projects. When I get serious about reducing the number of magazines, which I put in magazine holders that go onto my book shelves, I pass them on to my best friend. She often tears out the articles/patterns she thinks she might use, uses some of them for her Kindergarten class and then passes on the rest to another quilting friend. It drives my DH crazy, but I find it very hard to get rid of them the way he suggest, which is tossing them in the circular file. Too bad he doesn't practice what he preaches about his computer tech magazines. LOL
Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 PM

I am weaning myself- didn't renew the 4 I was getting. I have quite a collection at this point and will never get the ones I'd like to do - done in this lifetime. At some point I will need to rid myself of the collection I do have. I do like to thumb thru them.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Here is what I have done and did this week again in fact. I go thru each magazine, if I see several things that i love, then I write on it KEEP. If it is only one or two things that I like, I tear out the pages and put in binders and pitch the rest of the magazine. If I find nothing in the magazine I want and it is in excellent conditon then I mark give away on it with a sticky note. Now here is the real tip! When I get a stack of them 6 or 8, whatever then I tie a nice bow on them with a gift card and take to my quilter friend who has been ill or under the weather. What an excellent birthday present or feeling under the weather present. They then can choose to keep or pitch or pass on. It gives something to look at when they can't sew or dont feel like it. You can make a gift basket and put other things with it also. I got this idea from a friend of mine who brought me about 10 mazagines she got at a church garage sale. I just got home from the hospital at the time. Tied with a beautiful bow, she said I could buy you one magazine for a lot more than the 10 magazine cost. Yet which would I get more enjoyment out of? She hope I was not offended! I was thrilled beyond words, what an excellent idea and how thoughtful and smart!!!! I have use this tip many times! Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by deedum; 06-04-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM

I copy anything I want to keep in the magazine and then sell them at our local patio sale once a year. I always sell all I have out there.