Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Quilt shops in PA

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Conway, NH
    Posts
    7
    Looking to go to Amish Country in the spring any suggestions on what quilt shops are the best ones to visit? This is a whole new expereince for me coming from NH and can't wait to go!

  2. #2
    Senior Member jlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    444
    Hayloft fabrics is within a mile of Morgantown interchange of PA turnpike, Sauters is within a mile of the Denver/Ephrata interchange of PA tpk, and then head to Intercourse, PA, that little town has a lot of choices.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was going to suggest Hayloft. Never been there, but want to visit.

  4. #4
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I was going to suggest Hayloft. Never been there, but want to visit.
    It's a cute store. It's actually above a grocery store. It's sort of like a balcony, in a U shape that goes 3/4 the way around the store. They've got quite a bit of fabric for what seems like a small area. The whole quilt store overlooks the grocery store!

    Shady Maple is a most wonderful smorgasbord that is close to the Hayloft. If you can, you should have a meal there. They have a huge gift shop downstairs with very reasonably priced Jim Shore figurines.

    There are a ton of shops in Lancaster all along route 340 and the surrounding areas. The Old Country Store is a great place to shop, they have an online store as well. Upstairs from that store is the People's Place Museum. It's small but if you're in the store, you should spend a few minutes upstairs looking at the quilts. Across the store is the Kitchen Kettle Village with lots of little shops in it. And if you're hungry, they have a little cafeteria type place or the Kling House (need reservations).

    Have a great time!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Conway, NH
    Posts
    7
    Thanks a Bunch!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I was going to suggest Hayloft. Never been there, but want to visit.
    It's a cute store. It's actually above a grocery store. It's sort of like a balcony, in a U shape that goes 3/4 the way around the store. They've got quite a bit of fabric for what seems like a small area. The whole quilt store overlooks the grocery store!

    Shady Maple is a most wonderful smorgasbord that is close to the Hayloft. If you can, you should have a meal there. They have a huge gift shop downstairs with very reasonably priced Jim Shore figurines.

    There are a ton of shops in Lancaster all along route 340 and the surrounding areas. The Old Country Store is a great place to shop, they have an online store as well. Upstairs from that store is the People's Place Museum. It's small but if you're in the store, you should spend a few minutes upstairs looking at the quilts. Across the store is the Kitchen Kettle Village with lots of little shops in it. And if you're hungry, they have a little cafeteria type place or the Kling House (need reservations).

    Have a great time!
    I actually think I've eaten at Shady Maple many years ago. I used to live in Berks County, PA (BQD= Before quilting days). So didn't go fabric shopping.

  7. #7
    Super Member sewingsuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,074
    I go to Ohio to amish country and they have nice shops resturants to hav family style meals. It it fun to go there. I grew up very close to them. They still have the horse and buggies and still dress the same. They surre know how to cook and make quilts.

  8. #8
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    Couldn't tell you the best one but I spent a couple of weeks in Lancaster and there are soooo many and so friendly you will be spoilt for choice - Have a fun trip

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    As suggested the Old Country Store is amazing. But my personal favorite is Zooks, which is across the street, next to the Pretzel shop, on 340 in Intercourse. Once you go in you will never come out. I live close and am fortunate to be able to use it for all my fabric shopping.

    Have a great time!!!

    Laura

  10. #10
    Super Member Janetlmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Check out Martin's fabrics in Meyerstown...Weaver's Dry Goods in Litiz, Obies in Goodville, Sauters, Burkholders, Good's at Shady Maple. In Intercourse try Zooks, The Old Country Store and between Intercourse and Bird in Hand is a great little Amish quilt shop with great prices...it is on the left going towards Bird in Hand..can't remember the name. Martin's have a huge selection of flat folds..you can always find name brand manufactures for 3.50 a yard. Have fun...I go once a month and well...I have way to much fabric..LOL. Is there such a thing?
    Peace and Blessings,

  11. #11
    Junior Member apronlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    132
    Also check out Goodville Fabric Outlet on Main Street, just around the corner from Obie's and "down the road a short spell" from Shady Maple. They are only about 3 years old, and they have great buys. Enjoy your trip; I'm drooling just thinking about doing it again this summer when Joyce Meyer comes to Hershey!

  12. #12
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    As suggested the Old Country Store is amazing. But my personal favorite is Zooks, which is across the street, next to the Pretzel shop, on 340 in Intercourse. Once you go in you will never come out. I live close and am fortunate to be able to use it for all my fabric shopping.

    Have a great time!!!

    Laura
    I am turning bright green!!!! lol lucky you to have such wonderful stores on your doorstep

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    117
    Another option that has really nice material is Piece by Piece in Ephrata. They have a website; you should check it out because they're not open every day, but I really love their choices. Their fabric is a bit more modern, whereas some of these other stores are limited to more subdued colors; Plain people don't buy bright colors.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Conway, NH
    Posts
    7
    Thank you all so much for all your great suggestions!

  15. #15
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    I am going to bookmark this thread, I am hoping to get back to Lancaster again this summer...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.