Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show and shopping >

Quilt show and shopping

Quilt show and shopping

Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 PM

I was at the AQS Show in Lancaster too. I did not get to the vendor only stop at the Contential Hotel on Rt. 30, across from the Host Hotel. I wanted to go today to Intercourse to Zooks, one of the best around, and then onto Goods' Store where the flatfolds were $2.15 all week. They carry brand names. Then I was going to hit the hotel vendors but husband said he wanted to watch the U/D girls basketball. So much for my plans. I did buy a few pieces of fabric and two patterns at the show. I liked some of the quilts. Some were over the top, too artsy for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 PM

I fly to Bakercity Ore. every year to visit my sister. My plane lands in Boise. After my sis and her daughter pick me up ( both are quilters ) we always hit all the shops in Boise and a few more on the way to her house. In the last couple of years so many of those shops have closed, it's so sad. I think that big price hike in cotton a couple of years ago really hurt the smaller shops, and not having an on-line business probably does not help either.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue View Post
I'm always surprised when shops that close don't take down advertising or web pages. I've wasted time that way also. But, that husband sounds like a keeper!
Most online Yellow Pages listings are not actually placed by the business, but just picked up from phone company or other data. They are notoriously inaccurate, and even when you try to get them changed, it's difficult, unless you pay to do so. I am fairly experienced in this area, because working in marketing for several companies, it's been something we've struggled with. Even the printed Yellow Pages, which you do pay to be listed in, are rife with errors, and old info. We have had branches of our business that have been closed for years suddenly show up randomly in printed directories too!

I tend to trust a store's own webpage though, provided I can tell it's being updated. Obviously, you can call to confirm, but if they have a current class calendar, and the copyright on the site is up to date, I wouldn't even bother to call. Most businesses will take their site down if they close, but some smaller ones that use "free" website services may not bother. But never trust online Yellow Pages!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I went to the AQS show in Phoenix in Feb. (the show in Lancaster is also AQS so the same quilts would be on display) and I agree that there were a LOT of vendors selling longarm machines. Also, embroidery machines, batiks and embellishments. Quilting is changing which isn't a bad thing but not much left for traditional quilters to choose from. I did buy the stencils with the pouncer but haven't used it yet. I now buy most of my fabric online or at a few LQSs.
Sorry you had a bad experience with most the quilt shops.
They don't allow you to enter another aqs show with the same quilt so the quilts will be different at each show. Also the teachers are different at each show. I just got home from aqs Lancaster and had a great time. I got great buys on batting and wool and also found a couple of new patterns. I guess its all in what you are looking for.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

yes this has happened to me to. We planned a trip around some shops only to find they were no longer in business. I went on line and found what seemed like an Amish shop. Spent ab hour driving up and down back roads only to find it out of business. We found another store that was suppose to be Amish but once inside realized it was not. Glad the weather was nice. We had a nice day for a ride.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 AM

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with the Lancaster show. I drive up every year from NC to see the show - oh, and to visit family!! I was born in York, PA. Had a fabulous time at the show - rarely purchase fabrics as I want them all!! This year was the year for rulers/templates - lots that I knew I wanted and got them all. The show at the Continental was good as always. Almost got another vintage Singer but let it go to another lady - I knew she would give her a good home - and I really, really do not "need" another machine (sigh!). We are getting an AQS show this coming July in Charlotte and I am so excited (I get home just in time from going to Quilt Odyssey in Hershey - and oh, yes , from visiting family also!!). Cannot wait - and the quilts are different in all AQS shows - but I have seen some in other shows - and they are not ever in my world of being able to make and people need to remember that most are made exclusively to be put into big shows - but they are beautiful nine the less.

I am planning in trying to get out to Fabric and Quilt Shack on Rte. 340 just before you get to Good 'n Plenty - north side of 340. It's Amish-owned and has good prices and great fabric. The pre-cuts are a very good price considering what they cost in regular quilt stores. I always keep my Quilters Travel Companion with me wherever I go - the website for this gives updates on which shops have moved, closed, etc. plus new shops that aren't in the book yet. I never use yellow pages for the reasons mentioned before. Unfortunately some shops have closed for various reasons - we all are probably aware of The Country Store and it's problems; Bitty Kinna closed last year (or was it the year before?) due to illness in her family. If you can you need to stretch out beyond Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse to other areas in Lancaster County - Ladyfingers in Oley is the hime of dimples fabrics (yum!!!); Zook's/Sauders is great; Burkholder's has so much fabric I almost OD when I went there the first time. I'm not crazy about Good's - just my opinion.

Sorry for rattling on - I have rarely been to a show that disappointed me, including small local ones. Sometimes I purchase minimally, sometimes I help the local economy a great deal - as in this week! Ask thus list any time you are able to go to a show and we would all be glad to steer you to great places to shop plus ones that are no longer open. We would love to help you have a good experience.

Sandy in Mooresville - but in York, PA at the moment - going home on Tuesday.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Sandy, thanks for all that great information! I'm trying to pick a few stores to go so I don't drag my husband to too many places. He's patient but there are limits ;-) For things like batting, rulers, thread is there any store you might recommend that has better prices?
Thanks again.
Nancy
Old 03-16-2014, 05:41 AM

I have not seen "Weavers" mentioned, and that is one of my favorite spots near Lancaster. It is outside of Lititz Pa.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 AM

I just went shop hopping last week and found a brand new shop which was wonderful. So when your favorite shop closes I guess it is time to look for a new one. Unfortunately this shop is too far away for me to go there very often. It is amazing that so many shops have closed and the comment from the owners always is the same--we did not have enough business. Hard to understand as some times I have to drive miles to find a shop and it does get discouraging.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 AM

Thank you for your good wishes. It was our 37th anniversary. We went to the Dutch Apple Dinner theater and the quilt show in Lancaster since none of the shops I tried to visit seemed to be open anymore. I did get to Sauders and spent more than I should have.