Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt show and shopping >
  • Quilt show and shopping

• Quilt show and shopping

Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
    I went to the AQS show in Phoenix in Feb. (the show in Lancaster is also AQS so the same quilts would be on display) and I agree that there were a LOT of vendors selling longarm machines. Also, embroidery machines, batiks and embellishments. Quilting is changing which isn't a bad thing but not much left for traditional quilters to choose from. I did buy the stencils with the pouncer but haven't used it yet. I now buy most of my fabric online or at a few LQSs.
    Sorry you had a bad experience with most the quilt shops.
    I was able to go to one quilt show in Wichita when we were in the states last May/June. I, too was surprised by the "bling" on the quilts there. I hadn't noticed much bling on quilts here on this board so it took me by surprise.

I thought it was pretty for wall hangings, maybe. But I mostly make bed sized quilts, so while "quaint" or "interesting", it wasn't something I really cared much about learning in depth.

I noticed a lot of long arms for sale, but there were some fabric places with good prices. That made me happy.
    Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I once went to a shop listed on the GPS yellow pages... what a surprise... its was fabric underwear for men who dress as women. I learned to call and ask what types of fabric they sell.
    Oh dear, that was a surprise I'm sure.
    Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM

I was in Lancaster for the show and it was disappointing but I managed to go to 20+ quilt shops in the area to 'replenish' my stash. The only one I knew that closed was the Old Country Store in Intercourse.
    Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Was excited to find out about a quilt store in Presque Isle, Maine...only 45 minutes from my new vacation home...only to find that they closed last year. No quilt stores north of Houlton which is almost 2 hours south of me. Don't know what I'm going to do when I retire up there. There are Walmarts and Marden's. Not sure if there are JAF stores in northern Maine. For now, living in southern New Hampshire, I am pretty spoiled with quite a few LQS around my area.

So sorry to hear about your "time wasted". Happy Anniversary! My DH and I just had our 15th in December. Sounds like you've got a "keeper" in your DH (me, too!).

Anita
    Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM

i have an app called "quilt shops". Many of you may already use it, but for those of you that don't it work decent. I call ahead to see if their open, moved and store hours. It is disheartening to hear of quilt shops closing. I try to support them where I can. I love checking out shops while traveling, time permitting and checkbook of course.
    Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2
    I have just returned from what I thought would be a wonderful weekend of quilt related stuff shopping. My husband and I had reservations for a dinner theater that we had to postpone because of the weather. Our anniversary was on March 5 but we moved it to the 14th so I could do some shopping in Amish country around Lancaster, PA. My husband went on line and pulled up the addresses etc. of at least 44 shops that supposedly sold fabric or other quilt related items in the area around Lancaster County, PA. We used our GPS to locate a number of the shops that I had never yet visited. Much to our disappointment all but one of them were out of business. Many no longer had any signs and their phones had been disconnected. It looks as though many of the names and addresses came from the yellow pages on line. We ended up going to the National Quilt show being held at the Lancaster Convention Center. Again I was disappointed. There was a quilt I saw at the Sewing and Quilt Expo last weekend in Hunt Valley, MD that they didn't have a pattern for even though they were displaying it as if they did. With three floors of quilts and vendors I didn't find that pattern anywhere. As a hand quilter I mark my own quilts. The only vendor selling quilting stencils was someone who used a special pouncer that they invented or at least patented. They had wonderful stencils but they would not work without the pouncer. No sale there. I also noticed that like the Expo last weekend the vendors biggest drive was to sell longarm machines, supplies and accessories. On the way home this morning we stopped at that old stand by Sauders and I spent $108 on fabric. They have wonderful prices and sell bolts as well as flat folds etc. We decided to try one more shop that was on the list my husband downloaded. It was located in Hershey, PA. Of course it also no longer existed. When I called the phone number the recording said it had been disconnected. Just wondering if anyone else had similar stories.
    SO SORRY for the issues you experienced! If you are ever in that area again - you should try Burkholders, which is located in Denver, PA (about 1/2 hour drive (and a pretty one at that) from Lancaster…I could spend an entire DAY at that shop - and I find the variety and quality and prices better than Sauders...
    Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 AM

So sorry to hear that The Quilt Ledger in Christiana, PA did not end up on your list. It is about 20 minutes outside of Lancaster and is my favorite store!! Hopefully when you come to town again you will put The Quilt Ledger on your list and stop by. The owner, Leslie, has a fabulous sense of color and the store is always ablaze in new designs and fabulous fabrics. She had a great midnight madness sale on Friday night..... You can also checkout the store online....
    Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morag
    Sandy, my daughter lives in Statesville and I would love to know the dates and location of the AQS quilt show.
    The AQS Charlotte show is the end of July - I'm thinking it starts on the 30th (July) for 4 days. It's at the Convention Center right in uptown Charlotte (it's called uptown, not downtown). There is a parking garage close by so you shouldn't have to walk far. I'm hoping that everyone!! will go to the show so we can keep it. Paducah is about an 8-hour drive depending on how many stops you make so we don't get a chance to go very often. I will just be back from PA and Quilt Odyssey when this show starts so hope I'm not too pooped out or broke to go. I'll try to remember to give more info on the Charlotte show when I get back home.

If you're ever in Statesville on the second Monday of the month you should take a trip down to Mooresville to our quilt guild. We meet at 10am in the senior center which is just behind the citizen center off Main Street.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - heading back home tomorrow from York, PA
    Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM

Kathy -

I've never heard of this shop but I sure will locate it and get it,on my list for this coming summer. Thanks so much for letting us all know. Don't think I saw it listed in the Quilters Travel Companion. It's always sad when a good shop closes but I understand the many reasons for a closing - we lost one in Mooresville a few years ago.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - once again I brought weather to York - the snow was my fault (long story here)!!
    Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2
    Sandy, Thanks for the information. I was only looking for one pattern that I saw a made up version of at the Expo in Hunt Valley, MD last weekend. The vendor was displaying the quilt but only had a kit that they wanted $75 for. I have more than enough fabric I just wanted the pattern. I was unable to find it at the Lancaster Show. I live in Maryland just below the PA line south of Hanover, PA. I do most of my shopping in Hanover. My husband is 73 and was being very gracious about taking me to quilt shops. It didn't improve his mood when we kept driving in all directions only to find the shops gone.
    Which pattern are you looking for. Maybe I can help find it for you. I always stop at Wilson's in Hagerstown when I'm coming up. My husband even knows the way to this shop (the only quilt shop by the way) when we are going up to Gloversville, NY where he was born. We inherited his parents house and I go up maybe once a year because the town sucks! (With bug apologies for the word and anyone who lives there). Although there is a really nice quilt shop there which makes the trip worthwhile - for me.

I thought about going to Hunt Valley show but decided to wait till June when the Expo comes to Raleigh.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC