Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt storage ideas >

quilt storage ideas

quilt storage ideas

Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

I picked up an empty carpet cardboard roll and cut it with a saw to fit upright in the closet. I made a muslin sleeve for it. I laid a well washed sheet on the floor and put several quilts on top. I then rolled up the quilts and sheet like a large tootsie roll and secured the sheet ends with elastics. It stands on it's in the spare room closet. The spare room bed has several quilts layered on it for the ones I use most often.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I was always told quilts, or anything that can absorb moisture, shouldn't be stored in sealed plastic bags. Something about temperature change causing moisture buildup and mod/mildew.
Agree, please don't use plastic anything to store your quilts. They are better off on a shelf or your bed. Also, if you store them folded be sure and take them out and refold on new folds a couple of times a year.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 AM

I pile them all on top of my hutch!! They're on display and out of the way. No sunlight on them where the hutch is. I wish I had a better place but that's the best I can do for now.
I have a couple of friends who have those quilt ladders and change the display by seasons. Looks nice but I think the ladders are expensive and only hold a few quilts.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I have also heard that if you use cotton batting, you need to refold occasionally because they can crease. A vacuum bag would probably make that happen quicker.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I have thirty eight or so quilts in Kitchen trash bags/ unscented, on shelves in a wooden cabinet. That is full now and I will start putting them in rubbermaid tubs.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple in zippered pillow cases
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 AM

I bought the vacuum bags, interesting technology But eventually they all leaked air and got fat again. I think some one here said to put duct tape over the port

I'm here to say though, when you take your quilts out to use, holy cow, gag me with a spoon. They smelled Terrible. I ran all of them in the dryer with freshener sheets 3 cycles.

One way you can save room is to quit buying backing fabrics and make double sided quilts...I've been doing that for many years and love displaying both sides. Even simple backs show the quilting to advantage, and complicated reverse sides are such a pleasure to turn over and use.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Oh my gosh I decorate with them all over the house (the ones I don't give away that is). Of course I layer them on beds, but also put them on the backs/arms of the sofa & love seat, chairs etc. The dining table has a quilt on it. I have a baker's rack that had the glass shelf on the bottom section get broken when we moved here 10 years ago that I found is a great place to stack them where all the folded edges and the top one(s) can be seen. I decided not to replace the glass and I'm still layering it up And of course I have quilt racks with them and many padded walls LoL.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Couple friends of mine have older step ladders they painted and use those for displaying their quilts. I've seen many quilts ruined in plastic.
Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
I pile them all on top of my hutch!! They're on display and out of the way. No sunlight on them where the hutch is. I wish I had a better place but that's the best I can do for now.
I have a couple of friends who have those quilt ladders and change the display by seasons. Looks nice but I think the ladders are expensive and only hold a few quilts.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Me too. They lay nice and flat that way too.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I put most of them on a bed in a guest bedroom. The pile gets pretty deep...