Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt storage ideas >

quilt storage ideas

quilt storage ideas

Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM

I display mine and use several on beds, couches, walls, tables, and an entry way bench. I also have 3 quilt racks and use acid free tissue between folds if they're special and staying there awhile. Others (placemats, tablerunners, etc), I store in the linen closet or in the lidded bench. Color coordination takes a back seat in rooms at this point! If any get too old or used up, I donate to a non-profit and just make another quilt : )
Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 AM

My DH thinks we are the only people in the world to have so many quilts around. I have a couple quilts in each of 4 bedrooms. There at least 4 in the living room, on the sofa and chairs. Many on the walls. I don't store my quilts, we just use them. I give away most of the quilts I make to quilt worthy family and friends. BUT I saw on pinterest a section of picket fencing used as a quilt rack. I'm on the look out for a piece.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM

I want a Quilt curio cabinet. http://www.quiltcurio.com/ I saw him at Paducha and they are so nice looking....good thing my mom is on a trip to texas!

I also have a old ladder that I use as a quilt rack.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM

I was lucky enough to obtain a very old barrister's bookcase. It displays most of my quilts. If I had more they would probably be on a bed or on my sofa. I would also use the IKEA zippered bags. They are cloth and do breathe. I have my seasonal clothing folded in one of them and some other items in another. One of my quilting buddies stores most of her quilts in these in her guest room closet. She even labels hers.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM

I have a quilt curio. It's the "hope chest" kind with glass on the top and sides. I also display them on 2 quilt racks and over my 4 sofa's. I have a few smaller ones hanging on my walls and the runners are in the draw of my china closet when not being used on the tables. The rest I've given away to family members.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch View Post
I want a Quilt curio cabinet. http://www.quiltcurio.com/ I saw him at Paducha and they are so nice looking....good thing my mom is on a trip to texas!

I also have a old ladder that I use as a quilt rack.
Aren't they beautiful? I saw them in Paducah last year for the first time. I want one badly!--maybe an end table one to put beside one of my couches!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457716[/ATTACH]

i use these and keep in the closet.. they have breath holes..
I have some on beds, racks, in big baskets on the floor to cuddle with on cold days..
Attached Thumbnails aziploc.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 AM

I have never seen the Ziploc flexible totes in stores. Am I the only one? Are they in the same section with the other Ziploc bags like you use for food storage etc?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM

I've posted this before but I'll repeat it for those who didn't see it. I roll my quilts width wise then make a long tube type bag (fabric) with plenty of room for the quilt. I make a 1 inch case opening at the one end so I can make a draw string to tie it closed. It is then put on the top bunk of a bed flat. I'm in the process of making labels to attach to each bag telling me what quilt is inside. Rolling it helps to keep it from being creased and every year when I get out my quilts for the walls they do not need to be ironed or put in the dryer! it works for me! not sure how many do this but here is one crazy quilter who does it this way! let me know if you like this idea!

Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 01-21-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 AM

Leah Day has a good article and video on her blog. She uses pool noodles.
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ur-quilts.html