Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt top stash >

Quilt top stash

Quilt top stash

Old 03-14-2016, 04:56 PM

It depends on the quilt. If the fabric is unique or a special quilt that I want specific binding, I set that fabric aside with the quilt. If it isn't special, like a scrappy quilt that lots of fabrics will work for the binding, then I don't set anything aside and just figure it out after it is quilted.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 PM

If you want the binding to match an included fabric, be sure to save enough fabric with the top. It will store better uncut. Backing? Well, prices are only going to go up, so if you have something appropriate just make sure you have ENOUGH!
I had the "perfect" batting set aside, but the long-arm quilter I hired wanted a wider margin around the quilt than I had calculated, and I had to either buy something I liked a lot less (on sale) or pay more than I wanted to spend (full price).
Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 AM

Binding is the least of my problems, I'm still trying to get backing together for all my tops
Old 03-15-2016, 03:44 AM

I am with bj... I try to discipline myself to not having UFO's. That's not to say that I have only one project in the works, but they are still be worked on simultaneously. I like to prepare my backing and binding (and batting) upon completion of my quilt top and they are stored together until I get time to rent a longarm.

I am intrigued by Tinkers Post #4 about attaching her binding before quilting. I have not ever tried this and wondering if anyone else has any experience with this idea.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:05 AM

I always store matching binding with my quilt tops...nothing like having a really odd binding on a quilt. Just my thing to do!!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
I always put the binding on the quilt top before storing it. It keeps the edges from fraying, and I was taught to put the binding on prior to quilting anyway. I find it's such a struggle to put binding on a large quilt after it's quilted.
Hope that makes sense.
I don't understand this. The only way I can put the binding on before quilting is if it is glued. Then it is important to get the binding on so that the edges don't become unglued when struggling with it while quilting. The glue will hold everything together. It handles like a single layer of fabric.

Binding needs to include top, batt and back. Why not serge the edge of the top or zig-zag that edge to keep it from fraying?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:21 AM

I cut the binding when I cut out a quilt and I store the binding on a cardboard with the quilt name on it says it is ready when I have the quilt ready.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 AM

I try to finish before I move to another project. I like to have one in the piecing stage (machine), one in the quilting stage (handwork at night) and one in the planning stage. If I get too far ahead of myself, I forget I have a project to finish. If I must wait for some reason (waiting for batting etc) I make the binding and keep them together.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:54 AM

Usually it's just the top with no binding or backing but there are a few that at have either or both included.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 AM

I never worry about binding and backing. When I am ready to quilt the top, I find what I need.