Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt used as moving blanket >

quilt used as moving blanket

quilt used as moving blanket

Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Not everyone has the same reverence for handmade quilts that we have, unfortunately. Be careful who you make a quilt for! Once it's given, you have no say in how it's used or misused.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 PM

So sad that happened to your grand kids. No one has the right to impose his/her will on a child like that woman did. If she had a problem with the kids using the quilts for a picnic, then she needed to talk to the adult with the children.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:48 AM

I made my beloved sister a beautiful blue and yellow throw quilt the year she moved to Iowa as she said her sunporch was going to be yellow. When I came to visit I was horrified to see this quilt placed over the dogs cage at night.....she acted as if it were nothing. After she passed away I got the quilt back and after a couple of washings it now hangs in my entrance way behind a church pew bench.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I made my beloved sister a beautiful blue and yellow throw quilt the year she moved to Iowa as she said her sunporch was going to be yellow. When I came to visit I was horrified to see this quilt placed over the dogs cage at night.....she acted as if it were nothing. After she passed away I got the quilt back and after a couple of washings it now hangs in my entrance way behind a church pew bench.
Better over the dogs cage than inside it - - - -
Old 05-31-2019, 05:43 AM

I think we quilters need to understand that not everyone values quilts as we do. That doesn't make them evil, stupid , insensitive, or mean. I personally don't care for tatoos, certain hairdos, some styles of clothing, or other forms of art. I don't understand why people would pay thousands of dollars for paintings that look like a 3 year old painted them. It's just my opinion. Does that make me a terrible person? I don't expect everyone to like or value everything I like or value. If I make a quilt for someone I try to make what I think they would like. And if they don't like it or don't use it like I think they should use it, I try not to be angry or hurt about it. We all have different tastes and values. And I think that's what makes our world go round.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM

A lot of people think a quilt is just a blanket. What are you going to do, except choose a quilt recipient carefully.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
So sad that happened to your grand kids. No one has the right to impose his/her will on a child like that woman did. If she had a problem with the kids using the quilts for a picnic, then she needed to talk to the adult with the children.
. I don't think it was her place to even speak to an adult about it. She was way out of line. She didn't have to like the situation, but there was no need to yell at the kids (or the adult with them).
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 AM

I want my quilts to be loved and well used. I would prefer they don't get abused - But - they are no longer mine and can be used for whatever their 'owner' wants to use them for. I am thankful they use them and haven't thrown them away (as my sister-in-law did with the quilts I made her daughters!!!). When the quilt is going to a younger person, I do extra stitching in the hopes it does get dragged around and heavily used.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-31-2019 at 06:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 AM

A quilt that has been made for beach/picnics or as a child's "blanky" is intended for wear. But any other quilt that I have made
I would have a hard time seeing abused because of all the time I have spent on it.
I have not made any quilts to give away as I still don't have finished what I need for our own home and RV. I am one of the slowest quilters in the West so the thought of all my days of labour wasted would be very difficult. I was also raised by a mother who graduated during the depression and we didn't have a lot so we valued and respected what we did have and I still do the same. This is also why I already know that I will not make a quilt for certain family members because I know it will not be valued.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 AM

I always tell the recipients to use them. However it would bother me if one was used as junk. I dont mind it if it keeps people or animals warm but hope they know the work involved and the money spent.