Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt used as moving blanket >

quilt used as moving blanket

quilt used as moving blanket

Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 AM

ckcowl, I'm sorry you lost the pleasure of seeing those quilts lovingly used, and that your granddaughters lost the pleasure of using them. Thanks for sharing that story.

It would definitely hurt to know that a quilt had been used to move furniture (or used under the car during an oil change, which I've also heard of).
Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

janjanq makes a very good point.
I also thought of something else. You said they are retired? Could be they are elderly, sick etc. Well maybe they have a lot more on their minds that would make a quilt not that important. Moving is stressful in the best of circumstances. Who knows??
Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM

I'm sorry, ckcowl, I'm not picking on you. But I have to say, when a quilter gives a handmade quilt to a loved one and states that she hopes the quilt gets "used", I have a hard time with people who think that means tossing it over a wood pile instead of putting it on the bed, where most people usually put blankets and quilts. I don't think that's ignorant; I think it's downright disrespectful. And seriously, wouldn't a tarp be more efficient and water repellent anyway??
Old 05-31-2019, 10:53 AM

I bet that husband would feel differently if it was something he had put tons of time, energy, talent and expense into creating.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:33 PM

I don't think I'm going to clean for the couple that abused that quilt anymore. They just seem disrespectful in general. They showed me disrespect in ways when I was there and also disrespected the quilt. Personally, I want the quilts I make to be used as enjoyment. A quilt used as a picnic quilt would make me feel appreciated. A quilt put under a metal bed to help it slide through the house, while moving the bed is not showing appreciation of a quilt. It's not a moving blanket and could easily rip. Not that it would of mattered to this couple as it was just being kept on top of boxes in the garage. Plenty of people out in the world that don't itch me the wrong way, so I'll just keep my cleaning business for those people.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 PM

True, but we teach our kids to respect adults. They have no way to judge whether the adult is justified doing/saying what they are doing/saying or not. But the adult with the kids would and could also put the intruder in her place very quickly.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM

That is a good decision.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I move furniture all the time on wood floors. I use pot holders under each leg or a towel. I can't imagine being old enough to retire and not have any sense.
You'll get there. It's not much fun. LOL tim
Old 05-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
A quilt that has been made for beach/picnics or as a child's "blanky" is intended for wear. But any other quilt that I have made
I would have a hard time seeing abused because of all the time I have spent on it.
I have not made any quilts to give away as I still don't have finished what I need for our own home and RV. I am one of the slowest quilters in the West so the thought of all my days of labour wasted would be very difficult.
Don't be so vain. I have 8 quilt tops ready to be quilted and another half dozen projects in the half (or less) stage. Three or four more with the fabric bought and plans printed out and kept with them. And I live in California so I am at least as far west as you. LOL tim
Old 05-31-2019, 04:29 PM

Perhaps we should not expect others to love the things we love and appreciate. My mother loved to crochet. Her work was meticulously done, crocheted starched baskets, ribboned and filled with artificial flowers, wreaths and hats starched and decorated to hang on the wall, fans, bells, etc. She insisted I take her work home. I did, but put it away in a closet. It wasn’t my decorating style. They were well done and artistic in their way, but not my taste. My mother passed away last November. I love her dearly, but does that obligate me to keep and display her work to show respect? I am feeling somewhat guilty clearing off the shelves of her crochet work, and disposing of her houseful of her work, but I need the space, I won’t bring more home and it won't keep me from cherishing her memory. To expect that our quilts should be cherished by anyone we give them to may be naive. If we want our quilts to be cherished and respected, they should be given to those we know will love and cherish them and not judge those who don’t. I have a stack of quilts and the first grandchild who says, I love that quilt, grandma. Can I have it sometime? gets it.