Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go methods >

Quilt as you go methods

Quilt as you go methods

Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM

This is the best and easiest to watch video on how to connect quilted blocks that I can find. No book has such a simple method - if you watch this a few times it comes to you like a light bulb over your head! At least it did for me. Love this. There are Two but this one is the second she posted and really the only one that shows the method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Eo34PEEh4&NR=1
Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Here's a tutorial I found. http://maureencracknellhandmade.blog...-tutorial.html , I haven't tried it yet but it looked easiest of all I looked at.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
look for Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson. they are gorgeous.
the Cotton method is by a lady named Cotton and she's been on Nancy's Notions a lot. she folds and folds seams over and stitches them down. it tends to make a heavy quilt I'm told. just another way of joining seams.

This is called The Cotton Theory and it does make a very heavy quilt. Betty Cotton is the lady who does it.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM

I like using quilt as you go in rows. That way you get the help with smaller sections to quilt but you don't have as much hand sewing as you would if you used quilt as you go on each block.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM

I've made several now--should finish up two more today using 4" blocks--I sewed the 4" squares together in rather large squares (8x8) just to use them up and put together a charity quilt. I followed the video that Leah Day has...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_lwOfZWM8

Except that I think attaching the sashing the other way around is better as I prefer top stitching on the top and not from the back side.

Last week my daughter observed me hand stitching one and said, "Mom, wouldn't it be much faster to sew it on the machine?" When I told her, yes, but it isn't quite as accurate--unless you do it from the top."

So, I did...and it is working out great. I will be using this method more often for a change from quilting big pieces.

Last edited by justflyingin; 03-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 AM

I only make QAYG quilts. I've tried all the methods posted. My favorite is posted on The Quilting Edge.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM

I made a fun & done lap quilt. I didn't think it was much fun & I was glad when it was done. I never wanted to see it again, so I gave it away.
Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Made a Fun and Done but it is heavy and only one seam holds the blocks togather. Some seams are coming apart.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
I use a modified QAYG method for smaller, baby-type quilts and am going to try it on a bigger one at some point.

I prepare the whole backing and the whole batting (I use fusible Hobbs 80/20) Then I fuse the first whole strip of blocks to the batting-backing, and then continue sewing whole strips, fusing them, one at a time, either starting at the top of the quilt or in the middle, until the whole length is covered.

Once the strips are all sewn and stable, I can come back and FMQ the individual strips. The whole quilt is done pretty quickly! This can be done in a 'log cabin' center-out design too.
I am going to try this on quilt strips hanging in my closet. I like to use fusible batting but gets daunting on a whole quilt. Your method sounds very workable.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
I made a fun & done lap quilt. I didn't think it was much fun & I was glad when it was done. I never wanted to see it again, so I gave it away.
Isn't that funny. I made one and thought, wow, this is fun, and now it is done! I gave to an elderly aunt who loved it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 AM

I haven't made a quilt using either of the two methods you mentioned, but want to try the one that you bring the back forward to make a sashing strip. However I have made three quilts using Sharon Pederson's Reversible quilts which is bqasically the same method. With Sharon's method you cut strips and join the blocks to make the sashing, and with her method you do a lot of hand sewing. You might want to try her version of making quilt as you go. I don't know how much you enjoy hand sewing. I am not a great fan myself, but the three that I made using her method were large quilts, two king size and one queen. If you check out the pics. sections on this board and view "Hope's Rose Garden" by Gerbie is one of the quilts I made using her method, and it was a king size quilt.