Quilt as you go methods >

Quilt as you go methods

Quilt as you go methods

Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Have you checked out this thread?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t196192.html
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM

I'm going to start a quilt tomorrow that will be a QAYG. I'm planning on using the method described in this video. I hope it turns out ok. I don't want to have to quilt the whole thing or pay to have it done, so I'm hoping this method works well. In my mind, I don't see why it wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qyb7XxY4k
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I did the cotton method, I really like how the quilt came out BUT it is very heavy and stiff. Mind you I have not washed it, but it is really nice.
I'm afraid I don't know what this method is
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM

I made a QAYG years ago and it turned out beautiful. My niece still treasures it as I made it for her first baby 30 years ago. She used it often and it is still very nice and all stitching is like it was when I made it. I would make another when I get caught up on the 50 others in process,at least it seems like 50 as the ideas come faster than I can sew. This is my first time on this site and it looks great!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

look for Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson. they are gorgeous.
the Cotton method is by a lady named Cotton and she's been on Nancy's Notions a lot. she folds and folds seams over and stitches them down. it tends to make a heavy quilt I'm told. just another way of joining seams.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM

I love QAYG, it takes all the stress out of trying to manipulate a big quilt around your sewing room, I sew because I love to sew, not to get stressed out, there are plenty of other things you can stress out about, but not quilting
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM

I use a modified QAYG method for smaller, baby-type quilts and am going to try it on a bigger one at some point.

I prepare the whole backing and the whole batting (I use fusible Hobbs 80/20) Then I fuse the first whole strip of blocks to the batting-backing, and then continue sewing whole strips, fusing them, one at a time, either starting at the top of the quilt or in the middle, until the whole length is covered.

Once the strips are all sewn and stable, I can come back and FMQ the individual strips. The whole quilt is done pretty quickly! This can be done in a 'log cabin' center-out design too.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

As several posters mentioned, there are lots of different QAYG techniques. There are several that I personally haven't been successful with, and the 2 you mentioned fall into that category. If you are going to quilt on your domestic sewing machine, I think it's really worth your time to experiment with other QAYG methods to find one you like.

The Marti Michell book is good:
http://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell-...+michell+books

She shows several techniques, and the thing I like is that you don't have to quilt individual blocks as you go, you can do manageable section of your quilt, then join those, although you certainly can do it block-by-block if you would like to.

The technique that works best for me is the one by sharon pederson:
http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Qui...ersible+quilts
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM

I've done 2 large quilts QAYG in a way that works for me; may not appeal to others as the back of the quilt is very plain. I make and quilt the individual blocks with just batting & block. I join them all together with sashing. I then attach my backing in one (or pieced) large piece and stitch in the ditch along all the sashing strips. The back only has a grid style quilt pattern on it when finished but the front is quilted as I want. If you don't mind a rather plain looking backing (I always pick a nice print) this is a pretty easy method. The only time the whole quilt is in the machine is to quilt along all the sashings.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Once took a class on learning QAYG by doing a table runner. That was enough for me to know I didn't like it. Can't imagine doing a large quilt that way.