Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Quilted to Death

I agree with everyone else's comments; remove the markings and you may be happily surprised that the "QTD" look will be gone. Then, choose another motif to quilt other areas. Even at that, it is not as densley quilted as some I have seen in shows.

Thanks for posting with that info. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    I find many quilts to be over-quilted and I think they do lose a lot of their character. For me, less is more.

With that said, I DO like it better now that some of the markings have been removed!
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

they are very lovely work so pretty,too.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I agree, once you remove the marks it will look even better-it's beautiful!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Dee
    Its pretty except the marks-they need to go.

I think it will be beautiful. Don't rip it out.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful anyway!

Your quilt is beautiful, colors are great and you are doing an awesome job. I was hoping for a picture of the dogwood quilt. As you can see I love dogwoods and am always looking for ideas and patterns for it. Is the dogwood one also a stained glass type? Will watch for pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t178721.html there are several pictures of it if you keep scrolling. A stained glass dogwood would be pretty, wouldn't it?! I ordered both of these quilt tops off ebay from the same seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Dogwood View Post
    Your quilt is beautiful, colors are great and you are doing an awesome job. I was hoping for a picture of the dogwood quilt. As you can see I love dogwoods and am always looking for ideas and patterns for it. Is the dogwood one also a stained glass type? Will watch for pics. Thanks for sharing.

I agree...once you wash out the blue/purple pen marks...it will be just fine...those are what's making it dull the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Ok, here's some pics of it. I did use a marking pen, so you'll have to use your imagination to make it go away!!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    I love it. I don't think it took anything away.
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

The best advice I can offer for the future:

1. Take the time to audition your quilting. I literally redraw the blocks on paper. Then I take tracing paper and audition different designs. Clear vinyl and wet erase pens work too. Here is a thread I did on the design process

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t121493.html

Too often we are in a rush to get to the fun part, the actual quilting. Unfortunately lack of forethought and planning often show in the end product. So take your time and audition NUMEROUS designs in your quilting space.

2. Quilting in contrasting thread is best left to when you have honed your skills to a knife edge. Many times a darker thread on a light fabric can look "spidery" and every single waver, hesitation and mistake shows. So choose a thread that totally blends in with your fabric, it hides a multitude of mistakes as well! Really quilting is all about the texture you can create. You enhance a quilt with quilting by complimenting the piecing with the quilting. Sure sometimes the quilting ends up being the star and that is great too.

3. Let the quilt speak to you. Study it and listen to what it whispers. Many times it will tell you to leave certain spaces unquilted. That is OK. It is always much easier to go back and quilt a place that was left unquilted then to frog stitches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    The best advice I can offer for the future:
    Great advice! Thank you!!

I love the pictures you posted; I see absolutely nothing but beauty. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    This weekend was all about quilting for me. I am almost finished with my dogwood quilt (and I need to finish it and get pictures on here!) and I started my dragon fly quilt. I love this quilt. It looks like stained glass and has lots of color. Well, I have been practicing my stippling all weekend, and started quilting all the different colors of the center of this appliquéd beauty... and now it lost a big part of it's beauty. It's "quilted to death" so to speak. It really muted the different fabrics.

It's too much to try to rip out now. Lesson learned.

I think it is just awesome, love the work.
    Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

~~~Grandma Donna~~~

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123 View Post
    I agree that it's the markings that's making it look "quilted to death", LOL. Love that phrase by the way, sometimes I feel quilted to death! LOL!

I honestly think it's gorgeous, though!!! I'm sure you'll love it too when the markings are gone.
    I personally think it's stunning! And "quilted to death"? What a way to go... LOL!!!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    thank you all so much! I haven't even touched this quilt in a week, I'm afraid to work on the white area now! Oh well! I have others!......

Yes, this!
    I was ready to agree with you that it was quilted to death untill I read it was the marks. I think it will look beautiful once the color is washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    I think once you remove the marks from the pen, you will love what you quilted. I would try that first before I ripped out all the stitiching. Personally, I think it is beautiful!
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries

Update

The machine I have been using for FMQ is down. My sewing machine doesn't like to FMQ, so I added some lines in the white area today. Here's what it looks like now (Again, ignore the blotches of color, that's from the marking pen. I'm spraying it with water only to try to get it out)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's pretty, will look better when markings gone.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3