Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >

Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

No it never will be simply because quilting is a form of art painting except it's done with fabric, fibers and even paint.

I know of several young people that sew and quilt, both boys and girls. As a matter of fact our LQS has a middle/high school in a neighboring town that comes to her shop 3-4 times a year to buy fabric for their class.

The LQS sets up special time for just them to come to her store to receive help on what to buy.

My now 9 year old GD sews and quilts and I know of another lady who has two GD's who also sew and quilt.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM

At one time quilts were for utilitain use, then they became combined with decorative purpose. Now the decortative purpose has become art. Quilting will always retain its primary purpose, but look at how much quilting has evolved! No way will quilting ever die out.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM

No, I don't believe that all of our young people will turn away from the needle arts. I have had the pleasure of meeting some youngsters that express thenselves in painting, the written word, sclupture, cross stitch, apparel design and quilting. It isn't as prevalent as when I was young, but it is still out there and if we cultivate their interests that is a good thing. I was particularly delighted when my 23 year old niece was so happy with a pair of hot pads I made for her and another niece for whom I made a Kindle cover. Both young women were interested in the process of making these articles. I try very hard not to push my interests unless asked, but I also feel it is our responsibility to keep the arts alive in our young people. I love technology,but it can be merged with the older methods perfectly.

Well off my soap box. I just really believe we do need to kindle the interest in the creative arts whenever possible.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM

I don't think it will die out, but I do believe that it will morph/evolve into something that is different than what began as quilting. We already have the "techno-quilting" with gadgets that cut for us so we don't have to, gadgets/machines that sew while we make coffee somewhere else, etc.
If you are seemingly the only one who is doing the craft in your area, you could very well feel like a dying breed. You would feel unappreciated for your work.
But you have us on this board who will hold you up, and let you know that you are valuble to us, to your world, to the craft. Hang in there. You are not alone. ((Hugs))
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM

I think it is really picking up more interest. The sad thing for me, I didn't take advantage of the skills my mom had when I was younger. Now,, at a senior myself, I just started a couple of years ago. I enjoy it as a hobby and have made 13 quilts, and making one for all family members. I think there is renewed interest.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:32 AM

there is actually such an interest here that the 4H has started a sewing club.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 AM

I felt like the lone quilter until I got online. Much happier now, glad so many to share with.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 AM

A big big NO not here in North Wales UK, one of the classes I go to is just one of 6 the tutor gives every week in the winter, I hold a Patchwork group twice a week and go to a friends group twice a month and that is just the tip of the Iceberg.

And then one of our biggest daily newspaper posted this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...y-good-us.html

Quilters a dying breed, not here :mrgreen:
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!
We noticed at the shop when times get hard that people/quilters returned to quilting.About ten years ago there was a revival in the quilt world.I have the numbers somewhere in my files not just one group all ages.Quilting will never go away we are constantly feeding our addiction and passing it on.
DO YOU AGREE
Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!
Obviously you haven't looked at the membership numbers here, or at the attendance at the big quilt festivals. That would answer your question immediately. And the answer is No.

I guess I am drawing from my own environment. I am the only one in a large group of people who sews or quilts and has any appreciation for these skills. I have read the posts and seen the pictures on this site and I know that there are young and old members alike and members are involving their young children, but this is also a specific purpose driven site.

I too am the only quilter among my large circle of friends, relatives and colleagues from work. Not one of them is even remotely interested or driven to learn our craft or even appreciative of the work that goes into a project. I have found the most rewarding friendships among strangers at quilt stores, quilt classes and exhibits. I have no daughters but I hope some day to have a daughter-in-law or a granddaughter to share my passion with.