Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

• Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM

When I was in high school, Home Economics was a required course, 1/2 the year devoted to sewing, the other 1/2 to cooking. That was 50+ years ago and I doubt very much that there are more than a few (if that many) of us who took sewing classes who actually sewed once they graduated from H.S. and got on with their adult lives. My point is that nothing has changed; the percentage of people who sew is much the same as it ever was.

I've always liked sewing, especially clothing for my children, from toddler size on into adulthood. I made almost all my clothing to wear to the office where I worked and, simultaneously, went through a doll-making phase. Now I only make quilts & do some infrequent mending.

I don't know what they teach in school any more. Seeing quilts on display, those just for display as art and those for sale is what got me interested in making them, and I've been hooked ever since. I like to think friends/family who make quilts and quilts on display will continue to stir up interest in quilt-making and continue to keep it alive & well.

P.S.: I'm both lucky that I got to see the wide variety of quilt shows that were on t.v. for many years (on PBS, etc.) and disturbed that there are virtually none to watch any more. I appreciate the instructional videos available on-line, but the t.v. shows were superior, IMO.
    Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

No, as a matter of fact at my sewing class I have 2 10 year olds who are so willing to learn. We, ( me) the older generation have to make a rule to pass along our talents no matter how small, all we need to do is peak their interest.
    Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM

We are seeing young girls (8+ years)coming in with parent or grandparent buying fabric for their quilt. Some have made multiple quilts. Don't think it will ever be a dying art.
    Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM

I agree.
    Old 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM

I think the biggest mistake was taking home ec. out of school ciriculum[spelling] My oldest daughter learn to sew.and make a quilt in H.E.my youngest learned in school also. They are both beautiful sewers. Even the boys were allowed to take a class like such. Now they don't even know how to sew a button on. What a shame. It is up to grandma's or great grandma's to try and instill it this generation,
    Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM

My mother almost never sewed. I cannot remember her sewing anything except a doll dress for my birthday. And I sew a LOT, mostly quilts nowdays. I am trying to teach my grandchildren to sew but whether or not they become quilters, no one knows. The desire to be creative will not die, I am sure, whatever form it takes.
    Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Oh I think there has been a huge resurgence in quilting. Many of us are sharing our love of quilting by sharing and teaching our children and grandchildren. The internet is a treasure trove of free quilt patterns, video tutorials and more, which is fueling the desire to learn to quilt or to improve, expand and try new techniques.

Yes technology keeps the kids busy, but sometimes they need to calm down, de-stress and relax by sitting at the sewing machine to quilt.
    Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM

I do a small sewing project with my third graders. They love it! I did the same with my Cub Scout den when my son was younger. It takes a little justification to do it within the curriculum boundaries (testing is all important these days) but I figure it might just take one small experience to light the spark for later (for the boys, too). Plus I know creating is a stress buster for me so I hope it might be for some of them down the road.
    Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    I do a small sewing project with my third graders. They love it! I did the same with my Cub Scout den when my son was younger. It takes a little justification to do it within the curriculum boundaries (testing is all important these days) but I figure it might just take one small experience to light the spark for later (for the boys, too). Plus I know creating is a stress buster for me so I hope it might be for some of them down the road.
    You know, when I read that you do that with your third graders, I remembered one thing I did when I was in third. We were studying the underground railroad, and whether this is true or not, my teacher told us that people used to hang quilts out of windows to tell people which way to go to get to a safe house or something like that. She then gave us 16 x 16 pieces of card stock and told us we were going to make quilt blocks with construction paper then everyone would vote on the best and all the blocks would be put in our social studies fair the school had that year. My block won (wow, big surprise there, my mom quilts!) but my mom offered to bring in some quilts to add to the display. There were so many kids saying how pretty they were, and then there were some upset moms saying "no wonder she won, look what her mom does" I just remember so many of my friends saying I was lucky to have such pretty blankets in my house! But I don't know if anyone actually made any quilts, but everyone had fun making there quilt blocks!

wow I'm posting a lot on this thread, I just keep thinking how true so many of these comments are and it reminds me of something else!
    Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!
    I think they are interested at a very young age if we give them the time and training/ tools to work with we have a chance to teach them for a few years. They will get busy and find other interest but will always have a foundation to build on later.