Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

• Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 AM

I don't think so, remember, when we were younger, our grandmother, knitted, crocheted, tatted to name a few. I started showing interest in both knitting and crocheting. My mother sewed, but, did not get as much enjoyment out of that.
    Our time, was barbie dolls, patty playpal, mickey mouse club, ...things like this that we were more interested in. Look at us today.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 AM

I think perhaps HANDquilting is not as popular, but I think quilting in general is a very popular hobby. That's why I'm teaching my 10-year-old DD to hand quilt.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 AM

I think it will survive. People need to express their creativity in some form. It will be interesting to see what direction quilting will go in the future. I wasn't sure if I liked batiks at first, but after seeing all the beautiful quilts here on the board, I've changed my mind. Quilting is an art form.....it may evolve, but I don't think it will go away.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by bj
    My 6 yo grandson likes to help me, so when he's a little older I think he may be interested (if his dad will keep out of it!). :-D :-D
    Introduce that Dad to Ricky Tims, Mark Lipinski, "Robert Kaufman" fabrics, Patrick Lose, and all the others. There are several quilting sites on the web- ManQuilters, etc.- it doesn't take long to find them all!
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM

All you have to do is type quilt blogs in your search engine and you will find COUNTLESS young, extremely talented and innovative quilters. I find it amazing how many young mothers are quilting and sewing and making a business from it.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM

If we keep exposing kids and young people to things like quilting, I don't think it can die. I worry about kids who are never exposed to alternatives to gadgets and electronics. But there is something so relaxing and which just feels great when you do something by hand and create something that it uniquely yours. Once a young person gets a taste of it, they could be hooked like the rest of us. I never learned anything "domestic" until I was about 19, but loved it once I tried it!
    Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 AM

I guess that I am an optimist. I hope that when the younger generation tires of 'things' that give you no personal satisfaction they will turn to doing things for personal pride of achievement.
    Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM

We have to keep encouraging everyone to atleast try it and hope that they develope a liking for the sewing arts and to never get discouraged when things don't work out the first time or the next time or the next time. Keep up the faith that you can do it and work on doing it right.
    Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM

There is no better satisfaction than to be self sufficient and able to do things for yourself. Sewing allows for not only self expression but filling this basic need to do for ourselves. I think many young people today understand this concept. My daughter-in-law is a very good seamstress and I am proud of her. I made her a beautiful quilted diaper bag and I know she appreciated the work put into it.
    Old 07-15-2011, 10:03 AM

We have a junior quilters group in our guild. They really are learning and putting out some beautiful quilts.