Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting after Binding >

Quilting after Binding

Quilting after Binding

Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 AM

Really great quilt that will be loved for years!

I agree with the tying the quilt...after pinning it a bit...and I would space the ties about 3 inches apart because it would be used a lot...but not all in a row... I'd hold off doing ever hexie until I finished the ties 3" apart....you may not want to do the remaining ties....hahaha!

Good luck! and remember to let us see how it turns out.

Nan
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 AM

Great quilt.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 AM

My advice would be to take the binding off and re-apply after quilting. It's more work but the only sure solution in my opinion. As a rule, I try not to have more than a hand space that is unquilted in order to get best results. All the best with it.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 AM

I really like "tied" quilts. Be sure to keep your ties 3 - 4 inches apart and off-set them. Start in the center of the quilt. 20 years ago, I tied my grandson's baby quilt and in 10 years the batting came apart inside. I had to take it apart, resew some seams and then I machine quilted it. It did not have the same softness to it as it did when tied. If I had tied closer together, it would have been fine. Just a word to the wise. It's a beautiful quilt and the baby is just precious.

I laugh at myself when I use the word "precious" as I remember this joke/story. A sweet little boy goes to preschool and the teacher has a problem with him not answering her when she calls on him. She walks up to him and says, "Henry! Why aren't you answering me when I call your name?" He says, "My name isn't Henry, it's Precious." Too cute.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by leoniet View Post
Wow thanks guys Just looked into tying and that seems an AWESOME idea! And so pretty too. I could use all different coloured threads.......BUT I've no idea on the batting. I got it from a generic fabric shop and I'm pretty sure it's polyester and it's fairly thin-ish. Is closer always better for spacing of the ties?
Yes, when in doubt, closer is better. I don't know how large your hexies are, but I did a queen size with 1 inch hexies, and tied it each hexie. Seemed like a lot of ties, but has held together very well. I used embrodery floss. You mentioned using different colors for ties. That would be a cool thing! Your quilt is very nice, and I especially like your darling inspecter!! Good luck with what ever you deceide.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Thanks everyone. Really great tips. Especially the one on keeping it taut.....might have to invade our dining room table for a while! I'm assembling a small sample practice piece today (as I had some hexagons left) to have a play ....I'll keep you all updated!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 AM

One thing littlebitoheaven (great story!) - what do you mean by off-setting the ties?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Oh and hexagons are 2 inches.....looking at it I think every other intersection on each row should work. That's three inches apart width ways and two inches apart length ways if that makes sense! I lot of work but important to get it right!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

my machine has a tiny circle stitch that I did on centers of small blocks on one quilt. either tie it or find a small stitch on your machine and decide where you want to go through all three layers. good luck. it will look fine!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 AM

The only thing just looking at it is that I'd like to tie from the back as I think all the different coloured threads will look prettier against the pink backing BUT if I lie it flat on the table and only work from the top to see where the hexagons meet this won't be possible. I wonder if I baste pin it all over with pins whether that will be sifficient for keeping the sandwich together and then I can work looking at both sides without worrying about keeping it taut. Thinking out loud really now....!