Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Arts TV Show

Quilting Arts TV Show

Does anyone watch this? It is mostly about art quilts and techniques which I don't do, but, find very interesting. It is on one of our PBS stations. Here is the website.

www.quiltingartstv.com
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I catch it once in awhile. Not much that I'm interested in though.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I've been a subscriber to the magazine since the very beginning (over 10 years) and would love to be able to get broadcasts of QATV. I get PBS channels from 3 different states here and none of them carry it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We have it here in Corpus Christi. From 9:30 to 12:00 PBS is all about quilts and sewing. They used to have one about embroidery. That one was boring. Too slow moving. It was hand embroidery. One show does have a little of everything. Just have to check your local channels.

I have watched it but didn't get much from it. Got more from when we had a great quilt camp down here and I attended that. This show is too artsy farty for me... and ... the moderator is not my cuppa for teaching. That's just me, though.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I watch it every week, love most of the segments, but I wouldn't necessary make what they do. However, I have loved the segments on FMQing!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I enjoy some of the shows. Some are just not what interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Does anyone watch this? It is mostly about art quilts and techniques which I don't do, but, find very interesting. It is on one of our PBS stations. Here is the website.

www.quiltingartstv.com
    I'm not at all interested in making the art quilts Pokey does, but some of her techniques are interesting---------and useful.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    We have it here in Corpus Christi. From 9:30 to 12:00 PBS is all about quilts and sewing. They used to have one about embroidery. That one was boring. Too slow moving. It was hand embroidery. One show does have a little of everything. Just have to check your local channels.

SEW IT ALL (forget which network) has supper simple stuff -which I could do without any instruction, just by looking at it. It has to be very useful for unseasoned sewers.
    U N T I E

It comes on the Houston PBS on Saturday mornings, alternating seasons with Fons & Porter. I mainly watch it hoping to catch the FMQ segments, but it is interesting to see the segments on other techniques. And I feel like I can at least keep up when art quilters are talking about various techniques and treatments, even if I will never do them. It also comes on the Create channel, which is a PBS offshoot, at 5:00 a.m. once a week along with another sewing show and the knitting & crocheting show I enjoy.

I get it on PBS here.. But I am lucky and get three PBS stations. I am luke warm on the show as it it very hit and miss for good content.

I just found it the other day and am Tivo-ing a few of the shows. I'm not into art quilts but I'll watch and see how I like it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I've watched some of thier free videos. I watch the show on Create TV most mornings that its on.
    Judy

It's fun to watch once in a while.

We only get one PBS station here on U-Verse and it only has what quilts are done on Sewing With Nancy. We used to have Fan's and Porter but they stopped showing it. Sure wish we got more.

Blog Entries
    The host, Pokey, drives me absolutely batty! She just seems like an airhead and inexperienced about what is on the show.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    The host, Pokey, drives me absolutely batty! She just seems like an airhead and inexperienced about what is on the show.
    Too funny. Pokey (Patricia) Bolton is the Founding Editor of Quilting Arts Magazine, now in it's 12th year. It was totally her idea and she had complete control until she recently stepped down in order to head up the International Quilt Festival. She remains the head of QATV, not just the host. Her husband (an attorney) is the Publisher of Quilting Arts. Both know, in minute detail, all there is to know about the shows, the websites, the forums, the shops, the books, the CDs, the magazines and everything else within the empire they have built. Definitely not an inexperienced airhead.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Too funny. Pokey (Patricia) Bolton is the Founding Editor of Quilting Arts Magazine, now in it's 12th year. It was totally her idea and she had complete control until she recently stepped down in order to head up the International Quilt Festival. She remains the head of QATV, not just the host. Her husband (an attorney) is the Publisher of Quilting Arts. Both know, in minute detail, all there is to know about the shows, the websites, the forums, the shops, the books, the CDs, the magazines and everything else within the empire they have built. Definitely not an inexperienced airhead.
    Oh, I had no doubt she was very experienced; you can't get a quilt show without knowing something. She just doesn't come off that way.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I watch it occasionally on the San Bernardino station in Southern California. It come after Fons & Porter. Pokey does like to make art quilts but I find it interesting to watch occasionally. Contact your local PBS station and tell them that you want to see some quilting show. They also have access to some knitting shows.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I'll have to give it a watch. Thanks for the info.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Oh, I had no doubt she was very experienced; you can't get a quilt show without knowing something. She just doesn't come off that way.
    I think show hosts have to act dumb and ask obvious questions to let their guests shine. Notice it a lot of cooking and woodworking shows, too.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    The host, Pokey, drives me absolutely batty! .
    Her and Sue Hausmann from the old America Quilts show. They both have a lot of knowledge, just something about the way it was presented.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Her and Sue Hausmann from the old America Quilts show. They both have a lot of knowledge, just something about the way it was presented.
    Sue is the one that drives me crazy - I only watched a few times. She is so rude to some of the guests. One gentleman she kept talking over - not just once or twice but for the entire time. I thought the idea of having guests was to let them present their ideas/projects.

I like to watch Quilting Arts even though I would not do 99 percent of the things shown. I did make the messenger bag after it was shown. It does give me ideas sometimes. A different perspective. My major complaint about the show is that they should have only one guest and give them more time to demonstrate their techniques/patterns.

They replaced the good quilt shows with Quilting Arts in my area for awhile.
    Did not like it at all.
    Now once a week its Fons and Porter, which is much better. Just wish they had more quilting shows.
    Used to get El Burns on the rural station but thats gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    They replaced the good quilt shows with Quilting Arts in my area for awhile.
    Did not like it at all.
    Now once a week its Fons and Porter, which is much better. Just wish they had more quilting shows.
    Used to get El Burns on the rural station but thats gone now.
    Check out this link for Eleanor Burns videos: http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast