Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Board Objective >

Quilting Board Objective

Quilting Board Objective

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 AM

I'm pretty new to this board. New to sewing/quilting also. I love this board and have learned alot here. I've always wanted to make a bow tucks bag and because of you all I finally did! Haven't really posted any pictures or created a new topic, but would hope that everyone would be nice if it went in the wrong catagory. Needless to say I usually read it everyday, just skip the subjects I don't want to read. Most of my friends don't quilt or even sew, so I get my quilting fix here with alittle bit of daily life mixed in! LOL!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
I just joined in Dec. 2010, but as far as I can tell, speech is pretty free on the Board, so I doubt that you will be banned, you are entitlted to your opinion.

I can imagine that things have changed. With 250,000 users, the site is probably very different than it was when it was smaller. Your goal of reading every post is probably unrealistic now.

I also don't care much about new babies, most old sewing machines (although I love to look at FWs) or Bow Tucks, but I find that I can pretty much ignore them from the titles, or click, then quickly click away if the post is not interesting.

Sorry that you're feeling bad about QB. The joy is that you can participate or ignore, as you see fit.
Reading every post is not unrealistic. I read every one of them. A cup of coffee and a banana....and I sit every morning and go through all of them.

Yes, this is a quilting site, but I have picked up many useful tidbits on other types of projects. In general, I like using this board.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Love the diversity of the items on the board. I skip some things I'm not interested in and once I see the same item twice on the bottom when I look at the unread items then I just use the option to "mark all unread messages as read" and go on to another day.

mltquilt
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 AM

Personally I'm not interested in seeing photos of your kids graduation/wedding pictures, nor am I interested in another 'bow-tie' picture since I don't see what's so great about them but I have the ability to not go there. I'll be seeing your kids photos if I know you well enough to care and I'll be seeing your 'bow tie bags' if I care enough to check. Now when it comes to photos of your sewing rooms, your pets, your quilting projects, I'll be checking them out. Different strokes for different folks! I check out titles which I feel might be something I'm interested in. I can still use my fingers to do the walking. Actually, I do not see how some of you get anything else done with all the posting you do here. I live alone so my time is 'my' time but I have other things in my life. We all have a choice. Lots of praise goes to the people involved with running this whole show and I thank each and everyone of you.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:40 AM

I tend to agree with you. I don't go to a Quilting Board to look at photos of grand babies, cats or dogs! Please post your photos in the proper category and label them more clearly so I can choose to view or not to view.

I log on to the Quilting Board each day to find links to quilting techniques I want to learn, to view photos of quilts in the works and finished quilts, and to discuss quilting issues or get advice on a quilting problem.

A quilt can be a small as a mug mat, or as large as a king size bed quilt. It can include handbags, tote bags and garments that have quilted fabric. I love looking at them all.

So let's get back to QUILTING! Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
If you stick to Main and Pictures you will get mostly quilting related stuff, for some it is their only social outlet thus the variety of topics, in your profile you can choose which topics you want to see. I still enjoy the camaraderie on the board and even though I do not know the people personally I do look for certain names. We are like a big family
What she said!! In a community as large as this one, there are so many likes and dislikes. Just as you would do with your own friends or aquaintances, pick and choose what interest you and join in. Let the other stuff go in one ear oand out the other. We are not all alike and enjoy different interest. Me? After I look at the pictures, I head for the classifieds!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
ok ... time for a review. pay attention. there will be a pop quiz.

1. This is a quilting board. It has always been a quilting board. it will always be a quilting board.

2. However, quilters are by and large very sociable sweetie-pies. So, conversations naturally drift into other areas from time to time. We have become friends and family because of that. A very good thing. :-)

But we are still a quilting board. It's our primary reason for being.

3. Extra sections that don't relate to quilting were added to accommodate our desire to share other things with each other.

4. Adding more sections will not solve the problem of misplaced posts. It would only offer a wider variety of wrong places to put things. :lol:

5. We can encourage each other to be more descriptive in our titles and more careful where we put things. (as long as we do it politely. ;-) ) A few of the comments posted in this topic have stuck a toe or two into the snarky pool. tsk tsk tsk

let's all be careful to avoid any more of that, please.

For the most part, though, i would not classify this as a rant, rave, vent, steam, or otherwise poisonous post.

Let's face it. Until somebody invents a magic pill we can all afford, we shall all remain imperfect. we're going to make mistakes. it is not the end of the world.

SQUIRREL!!!
AMEN! I have learned alot from all of the postings that I have read! Thanks to All of my friends here on the Quilting Board! Keep up the good work, moderators!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
gee ... .....
it wouldn't matter if we did. no matter how many specialized sections we had, we would always find topics in the wrong place and/or with cryptic titles.

human beans. what'cha gonna do wit' 'em? :lol: :lol: :lol:

they are my peeps and i luvs 'em. ;-)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: You have what it takes to be a moderator. Thanks for all that you do :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 AM

I really like the variety as we are not one dimensional. Quilting is an important part of most of our lives and yes we are interested in that, but we also like many other things from our lives. Also memories from the past for us older people is great. The younger ones can just not read what they are not interested in. Sorry, don't want anyone to feel not welcome on here, but the more people the more different ideas.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 AM

I too used to read each and every post. Now I just scroll to find those that interest me and my way of thinking is, if I didn't enjoy a post, I don't have to read it but someone else on the Board might be very interested in the ones I didn't care for.
Overall I don't think there's a better resource for us out there then the Message Board.