Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Board Objective >

Quilting Board Objective

Quilting Board Objective

Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Some may not agree with this message and I will probably get banned from this message board, but here goes anyway.

I joined this message board back in April 2009, when admittedly there were fewer of us here. Back then, it seemed nearly all the messages were quilting related. I've always tried to read each and every post daily in both the Main and Pictures sections. And tried to make appropriate comments, including assistance and encouragement.

Lately, I feel we've gotten away from this being a Quilter's Message Board. There seem to be too many posts with general sewing (Bow Tucks bags and clothing) and other hobbies (Antique sewing machine repair and needlepoint). I am finding it increasingly difficult to read all the posts now and am less inclined to do so, as I have no interest in these other activites. If I did, I would join a message board for those activities.

I sincerely feel, we need to get back to this message board's original purpose of quilting and eliminate many of the non-quilting related posts.
I enjoy the diversity..and with 250,000+ users, if it were JUST quilting it would be nothing but repeat info day after day...already is in most cases...there is only so much quilty talk you can share and still stay a "regular" member!

As it is if people would use the search field and read up on the topic they are asking about, they would find it is already and OLD topic with plenty of info already shared about it..like the DP9, split 9, out of the box, bow tuck, etc, etc...but to stay a regular you have to post NEW topics daily...thus we get repeats, and lots of them....

Sorry, but I don't have an answer as to how to read ALL of the messages each day..I know I don't have time for them all...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 AM

I think that if people would use a very detailed discription of their topics that it would make it much easier to select which ones to read. Also people need to "search" their question/topic before posting to see if it has already been discussed. I find that there are a lot of postes on topics that have already been discussed and I personally get tired of typing my answers/opinions again.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 AM

I love this board but I agree that pictures of new babies or new animals is not important to me. I never open those sites and that is my choice. You have a choice as to what you read and I choose to read only posts about sewing and quilting. I find this board to be most inspiring.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 AM

Change is hard, sometimes, especially as we grow older. But, at least here on the QB we have a chance to Not read what does not interest us or fall in love with a special post, which I personally have done many times. I can then even bookmark it. Love that! But I don't feel guilty about not reading everything or commenting on everything. There is just too much. Which is great, really, because the posts that don't interest me Will interest another person. If you think about it, change is even occurring in quilt shops. Many of them going to crafts now. And, in the fabric we buy. And in the methods we use. To me, it's all good, because it brings the younger people to the sewing machine and that's Really good.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 AM

I'm tired of all the advertising you get bombarded with. It's great to be able to help people when they need help.And this a good way to get the message out.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 AM

I don't think you will be banned for stating your opinion. It was not offensive and was very well stated.
On the other hand, I find it easy to only read the posts with subject matter relating to quilting. If I tried to read every post on the board I would never get anything done.
I do suggest also that people enter the correct Subject on their posts. This would help us all to pick and choose the topics we read.
There are many posts also that I feel do not belong on the board and the subject is not labeled correctly.
So my suggestion is that all of us make sure that our Subject or Tital correctly describes what our post is about so others can decide whether to open it or not. I do not like seeing a subject that reads HELP and then I open it and someone wants help on what to make for DH for their anniversary (just and example) or talking about a disliked daughter in law, etc.

I love the board and do not plan to give it up due to to many posts that do not pertain to quilting. I just try to pick and choose. If I open a post that is off topic and I am not interested in it. I close it, very simple.

Thank You though for bringing up this issue as some people do discuss more than quilting without the proper subject posted.

Maybe now that this has been brought to light, people will be more careful. I do not think anyone at all is intentially trying to cause a issue for others.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I love the variety. I do all types of sewing - garments, home dec, crafts, and quilting too. The variety of posts here is what draws me to participate! I would never, ever try to read all the posts though - I just pick and choose what interests me.
I do exactly the same. I also pick and choose.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 AM

OPPS.............so sorry, some how this got posted 3 times. My apologies! Can't figure out how to remove the duplicates.

I might mention, that through this board I have learned to love the old sewing machines Thank You so much!!!!
And I love seeing pictures of everyone's sewing or quilting rooms.
Thank You to all of you wonderful members.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM

I only read the ones that the topic sounds like I might be interested in.
Sometimes, if I am bored, i will at leat glance them
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM

Same here just joined a couple months ago and Iv learned just to stroll though the subjects pick what I want to read if it wasn't for several different topics I wouldn't of known about the Bow Tuck Bag which I just got the pattern for, can't wait to make it up, I love to make quilts but once in awhile you need a break and do something different