Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Board Objective >

Quilting Board Objective

Quilting Board Objective

Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 AM

I like the variety. I think people post other things like new babies, kitties, puppies, etc. because they feel this is a family and want to share.
Everyone has a right to their opinion and the ability to not read a post that does not interest them.
JMHO
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
ok ... time for a review. pay attention. there will be a pop quiz.

1. This is a quilting board. It has always been a quilting board. it will always be a quilting board.

2. However, quilters are by and large very sociable sweetie-pies. So, conversations naturally drift into other areas from time to time. We have become friends and family because of that. A very good thing.

But we are still a quilting board. It's our primary reason for being.

3. Extra sections that don't relate to quilting were added to accommodate our desire to share other things with each other.

4. Adding more sections will not solve the problem of misplaced posts. It would only offer a wider variety of wrong places to put things. :lol:

5. We can encourage each other to be more descriptive in our titles and more careful where we put things. (as long as we do it politely. ;-) ) A few of the comments posted in this topic have stuck a toe or two into the snarky pool. tsk tsk tsk

let's all be careful to avoid any more of that, please.

For the most part, though, i would not classify this as a rant, rave, vent, steam, or otherwise poisonous post.

Let's face it. Until somebody invents a magic pill we can all afford, we shall all remain imperfect. we're going to make mistakes. it is not the end of the world.

SQUIRREL!!!
First I want to say a BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE MODERATORS HERE. You do a super job, especially considering you are dealing w/over 30K members!!!! That's A LOT of people to keep on the straight & narrow.

I AGREE COMPLETELY PATRICE!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this msg. board. I am 77 & it has given me a wonderful outlet to share my love of quilting (none of my family took it up) & enjoy during the day instead of the "boob tube". It also has afforded me an opportunity to actually MEET a few of them in person - Yesterday several in Central TX met for a mini shop-hop! Wonderful day.

I have the option to CHOOSE what I want to open, & yes sometimes the title isn't informative enough - but HEY, I can also choose to just close the post if I want to. (Hopefully we can all learn to be more informative in our titles)

Thanks to all the members for sharing your experiences in the quilting world.

Have a blessed week end & may all your quilts be filled w/love :lol:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
I personally enjoy the variety the QB offers!
My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM

I tend to agree with you, but I go to unread topics and only open the posts that interest me, I don't have time to read them all. I'm sure I miss some good posts that way, but I would never have time to sew if I read everything.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Terry, I just read all 11 pages of comments regarding your comment. Yes, I did. I found it interesting the different personalities making their comments and it reveals the diversity of interests, opinions, and humans. I think it is marvelous that we are all so different and yet can contribute to a discussion. It is like a well oiled machine. I am sure the Quilting Forum has taken on a whole new life of its own due to these diverse and unique minds. The main conclusion seems to be: State your posting title clearly so everyone can make a clear choice to read or not to read it. And hopefully post it in the right section. Thank you to every member, because I have learned so much as a new quilter on here. But I have also learned a lot about other things too. Like being accepted, helping those in need, sharing, caring and love.
I love seeing your quilts and projects. I read about others quilting problems and see the comments which I have learned so much from. Thank you to all 250,000 members and moderators. I love the diversity and the opportunity to learn and share in all subjects. This forum should be called the 8th wonder of the world. LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 AM

I do not read all the posts. I do not think it is breaking any rule not to read them all. I look at the title of the post and decide to read or not. I like the diverce topics and get the feeling that others do too. Freedom to choose what we watch on tv by using the channel changer or on off button, to what we read on line by choosing what to delete or ignore is what makes life interesting. I am sure if there was only qulit related topics I could get thru reading the board faster, but then would not learn much about other topics. Take care.
Linda
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 AM

I don't have the time to read everything or even check in every day, but I do prefer topics closely related to quilting and usually just appreciate seeing finished quilts, learning techniques from experts and meeting new people. I appreciate it when a post is accurately titled so I can choose on topic things more easily. I have been happily surprised to find really beeautiful quilted jackets, vests and handbags, in fact right now am taking time out to plan a carry on for the see&sew bag posted last week.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:40 AM

i just pick and choose what i want to read.....and depending on my mood and time frame, some of the other topics do hold some good tips......you will definately NOT get banned from the board for stating an opinion, that is what makes the board fresh and interesting........
Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

i just love all the topics, here a place we can all come and enjoy our craft, reqd what you want and leave the rest, sometimes, the other things people post give me great ideas.
i vote to keep it the way it is.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 AM

A very interesting discussion, thanks for starting it. I am a fairly new quilter, I made my first quilt in 2008-2009 and that is when I joined the board. I had no sewing experience at all and almost everything went over my head..husband and me had to relocate and abandoned quilting and the board for almost two years...I got back into it(in full force) back in April of last year and I must say I love the board a lot more now than I did back then.
I mainly hang out in pictures, BOM and swaps here...I don't belong to a guild and the board gives me the chance for show and tell and Quilters interaction.I cruise the Main section to see if any title interests me, if they do, I check them out. Mainly though, and this is just my personal opinion, the Main section contains a lot of repetitive information..most of the questions posted already have been answered in many topics in the past..sometimes there are more than one current topic asking the same question! Doesn't bother me, but mainly bores me...if the Main section was the only one the board has, I probably won't visit it as often as I do. That being said, this is a free forum where Quilters can come together and discuss various quilt related topics(other topics are bound to slip in),I don't however feel that I even have the right to complain about any of it, if I don't like a topic, I just don't view it, and if the board ever becomes boring to me, I just would quit visiting. :P

I am sorry you feel that the board has changed to the worse, but remember that it is a free venue and you can choose to go where you want and avoid places you don't care to go.