Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 AM

I find when I am in a quilting slump a trip to my LQS helps me get motivated. Going to a quilt show and seeing what others inspires me too!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 AM

I find that a trip thru a quilt/fabric shop........or to a quilt show inspires me to get with it again - of course it sometimes inspires me to buy MORE fabric and/or patterns. Oh well. And seeing the beautiful quilts on this board inspires me.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 AM

I lose my mojo when it comes time to sandwiching part: top, batting, and back. Ughhhh. Just the thought of having to do this on two quilt tops that are on my to do list gives me horrors. I would much rather be sewing or piecing.
I tend to have other things to work on- reading, beading , scrapbooking, or card making. I find that if I focus on something else for a week then I can face the part I don't like on a weekend. Overall, I just make sure that when I've lost my mojo for quilting that I have a diversion.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 AM

It's with relief I read what ya'll have to say about getting unmotivated. Sometimes I have wondered if I was off my rocker when I pull out the scraps and start cutting and so many UFOs are sitting on the shelf . This QB has been more inspiration to me than anything I have ever tried before. Thanks to all of you for the thoughts and feelings you share.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM

It's okay to take a break. Make some small items in the interim and sneak in a UFO or two if they are small. You'll be back in no time when you see some finishes!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Years ago someone asked Alex Anderson what she does to stay motivated. She relpied she sits at the machine. Just sitting there would get her going again. It has helped me sometimes. Sometimes I just tidy up. But it gets me going. But if it doesn't, so what? We all need and deserve a break now and then. I would never stop reading this board!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM

I having a real struggle with myself as I have a mountain of projects and fabric to use, but just can't find myself motivated to do anything. I broke my ankle maybe 18 months ago 3 hours after my granddaughter was born and it have me out of commission for almost 6 months. I seem to have gotten in a rut and can't find my way out. I hope to get motivated after finding a few new patterns and ideas this week. I can totally understand this situation.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM

When I get in a funk, I try doing a little handwork in the evenings, I go into the studio and just ogle all the pretty fabrics, or I pick up something small and just work on it for a few minutes, pretty soon I am chomping at the bit to get going again. Take your time, you don't have to quilt every day
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I think we all go through that at one time or another, and that's OK. I do have other things that I enjoy doing, like reading, sewing clothes for my DGD, making bags and other sewing projects; plus I do a lot of reading. Often when I have finished a major project, like the family reunion quilt for our family's reunion in July, and then a quilt for my DGD "big girl" bed, I sort of take a breather and do other things just to regroup; then I'll get back to quilting like gangbusters. Doing something else for a short time can actually get you ready for a burst of quilting.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
Do any of you ever get it?I think I have it-I just can not get motivated to finish a mountain of part done projects.I think I lost my mojo again.I hope it doe not last long and any ideas how to break out of the funk?
Why do we have to be so obsessed with something? It's supposed to be fun but we tend to put too much pressure on ourselves. Just walk away & find something else in life you enjoy. Maybe you'll be motivated to sew again or maybe you won't. Maybe it's time for a new hobby. Just a thought.