Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM

I go through phases of enthusiasm and the blahs. It helps me to think in terms of baby steps. I try to envision a finished project and calculate how long it would take if I only do an hour a day, or even just 15 minutes. Once I see progress I usually get a little momentum. It's not something I do because I have to, but the UFO's represent a considerable investment in time and money, and that nags at me. Paradoxically, if I let myself get too disappointed in myself for not achieving what I set out to do, then it's easy to start spiraling downward and get nothing done for weeks.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM

I get burnt out trying to get back in the sewing room. ( does this make sence, lol) with going to work, then getting home, there is ALWAYS other stuff that has to be done. I guess we all go through some sorta something. Just hang in there
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM

As a novice quilter having begun last fall, under the direction of my sister who has been quilting for 30 plus years, I keep in mind a bit of advice she gave me. She advised me to finish one project before you begin another if at all possible. She told me that if I have another project in mind, by finishing the one at hand I will keep my motivation to finish. It works for her. Although this is still new to me, it is so far working also. I am making 9 quilts this year for birthdays for my 9 grandchildren. I find myself always anxious to begin the next one. I hope you get your motivation back, but you may also just need a break. My sister is on a break now and enjoying it. What works for one does not always work for another.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 AM

I find I stick to it a lot easier when I have a little pressure, like I have to get this finished for the quilt show, I want to finish this for my granddaughter, I just want to get this out of the house soon, etc.

What helps me get the sandwiching done faster is: my quilt frame to hold things taut, Elmer's School Glue, Free Motion Quilting, and stitch in the ditch from the front for sewing that last binding stitching (the one most people hand sew to the back).

I started this quilting business to get rid of a basket of fabric I had in my closet. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 AM

It's a relief to know that it isn't just me....I haven't finished anything except 2 very easy quilt as you go baby quilts that were gifts. I feel guilty when I see all that expensive fabric just sitting there. My excuse is that my work is getting to be really bad. I get home so late every day and then have dogs to walk, etc. I used to do some handwork while watching tv at night but now I just vegetate. I even stopped going to quilt club meetings, it's just too hard after working all day. I hope I come out of it.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 AM

Yes, it happens to me too. I am currently working on a needlepoint pillow of seashells. But in the mean time I have been working on a few quilts "in my mind". I have three quilts with the fabrics chosen and patterns but I have just not been in the mood to go into my studio and begin one of them. When the mood hits me I will choose. Meanwhile I am enjoying working on needlepoint for now.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM

I go between sewing, quilting and knitting usually. But at the moment it is gardening! I always get back to quilting within a month or so.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
Do any of you ever get it?I think I have it-I just can not get motivated to finish a mountain of part done projects.I think I lost my mojo again.I hope it doe not last long and any ideas how to break out of the funk?
i'll find the quilt to give you your mojo back with. let me look for it. 30's beautiful. it's my next one to do. sunny

i just commented on it, so maybe you can find it like that. i'm not good with links.
bamamama quilted it for a customer, and it's called 'scraps of our past. by 4 corners.
30's reprod. hope you like it as much as i did. i bought the pattern.

Last edited by sewNso; 05-23-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I go through this too. I find it often happens to me when I let the studio get piled up, disorganized, over-run, just plain messy. Then I don't want to straighten it up and just sort of close my eyes to it when I go by. And that's hard because the studio is my *living room*!

So, when I make myself put things away, shelve partially finished projects neatly, rearrange fabric, dust and vacuum, and clean my machine, I find that the desire to begin again is quite pleasant and strong.

Jan in VA
OMGsh!! This is so me!
Luckily I enjoy other creative activities like crochet, calligraphy, drawing, painting and reading and can put off cleaning for a very long time. LOL
I just close the sewing room door and find something else to do. I just started my veggie garden!
Eventually the quilting bug finds me and I just HAVE to get back in there and find my cutting mat and tools under the piles of stuff and get started again. Just like Jan in VA said, a clean and organized sewing area is such a delight.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Find a friend who is suffering from cancer and your mojo will return....they
need" the best kind of sleep from heaven above
is under a quilt homemade with love..."