Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting...can it be overdone?

This question is like asking can a quilt have too much blue? Everyone has their own feelings of what they like or don't like on just about everything, including quilts.
    Heavy quilting in itself is a matter of opinion. I suppose the quilts I have posted here would be considered overquilted but I spend a great deal of time studying any quilt before it goes on my rack. I always try to acheive a look that compliments the piecing.
    However, like Heather, I love the texture and the look. I am drawn to quilts where the quilting is that something that makes the piecing just shine. Or picks up on a motif in a fabric. I love the kind of stuff Green Fairy does, like that horse quilt with the compasses quilted, that to me was beyond beautiful but I suppose to others it was considered overdone.

I also think that business about a quilt becoming stiff as a board due to being to heavily quilted is hogwash. The batting is what causes the stiffness with heavy quilting. W&N is notorious for losing its drape when heavily quilted, so use a different batting.

Just quilted a baby quilt and used a much denser edge to edge pattern than I ever have. For me, it is way over quilted. But, if feels a lot like the baby quilts my grandmother made my children. I think I will stick with less is more for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    yes, a quilt can certainly be 'over-quilted' if the quilting over powers the quilt-
    quilting should enhance- not take over- and sometimes people seem to just get a bit 'carried away' and they fill a quilt up with so much quilting that it winds up being stiff as a board- and the quilt itself is lost somewhere under all that thread.
    but it is a personal choice too- some people like very dense quilting- others like a large--easy quilting style-
    but no matter what kind of quilting a person likes it should enhance the quilt
    I agree totally! Some quilts just appear stiff from too much quilting.
    Aronel aka Lee

As long as the quilting enhances the quilt I am happy with it. Anything over the top can always be hung on the wall for decoration.

Yes..I am working on a quilt now and am not happy with the way it looks..so I am going back to take some of the stitching out...bummer...having said that I have to agree with everyone else and say it really depends on the piece you're quilting...some just call for alot...some call for alittle...
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    The problem I have with LAQ is not the amount of quilting but the thinness. As a hand quilter for years I always used extra, extra loft batting. I love my quilts to be puffy. I just got 2 back from the LAQ and they are so thin that they are more like a bedspread than a quilt. Actually they are like sewing 2 layers of fabric together. The quilting is beautiful but they are sooo thin.
    Joy

Blog Entries
    I feel, IMHO, that the only time this is an issue is when there is a lack of communication, or cooperation between the "piecer" & the LA quilter. That's why I always send up a prayer before I open the box from the quilter! God bless those wonderful LA quilters who can see what we need done on the quilt, but we didn't know. They are artists & unselfish souls.

I do believe it can be overdone. Too much quilting makes the quilt stiff and takes away from the piecing....JMHO...
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Blog Entries
    I personally love all the dense quilting, but like so many on here it is a preference call.. I think one of the reasons that you see so much heavy quilting is that now days at quilt shows the judges want to see lots of background fill, just my opinion, not to start anything.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I think its really a matter of choice - but I think sometimes the quilting goes overboard - it really depends on the pattern and the quilter - I would love to do one of those really cool dense quilts - but I don't have the artistic ability to even attempt it. I think it depends on the reason the quilt was made - like utilitarian quilt, art quilt/wallhanging, or contest quilts - I have seen quilts that are just a large easy stipple and that is all it really needed and its beautiful - but I do admire the ability of the quilters to do the dense quilting and I think it is very impressive and adds alot of "wow" factor - but it isn't really necessary to make the quilt "beautiful" - at least in my own opinion.
    My words exactly!!
    SueDor

Blog Entries
    It depends on your style and what you like as to each their own

You bet it can. Besides losing the pattern of the quilt, overquilting makes it HARD. It is no longer soft, like a quilt should be. I love the look of art quilts, and the heavenly quilting on some of them, but I think it is becoming overdone. I hand quilt a whole lot of quilts. There wasn't as much quilting, but it sure can be a lot prettier!

yes, some quilting can be overdone......it should enhance the piecing and compliment it, not disguise it with its own design, but I am sometimes more concerned about under-quilting...I have been quilting for a longtime....and LG for a good many years, but my own rule of thumb in either hand or machine quilting is empty spaces should be no more than the size of the four fingers of one's hand. I know the battings now are so much better than they were years ago, but I believe that if there is no stitching or tying for too long a space that batt will get lumpy after awhile too. This is just my own rule for myself-(and the quilts I do for others).

The nice thing about quilting is that you can do your quilt your way. If that is what you like, do it that way. I personally like a lot less quilting than I see of some of the quilts that are professionally done and shared on here. I want my piecing to show and the quilting to enhance that not the other way around. To each his own.

I also want a softer cuddly quilt. Some quilts that are over quilted don't look good at all and it takes away from the pattern and material. Plain is better, for me anyway. Maybe if a quilt is being entered into a show that can be different but I have seen quilts that are not cuddly and hard. Why make one!!

I say definitely it can. I have seen quilts, on here, where I can't see the pattern for the quilting. Don't get me wrong, the quilting is beautiful but I, personally, don't like to see it over powering the piecing. I think that the piecing and the quilting should complement each other and one not over power the other. But as in all things quilting, it's your quilt do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    yes, a quilt can certainly be 'over-quilted' if the quilting over powers the quilt-
    quilting should enhance- not take over- and sometimes people seem to just get a bit 'carried away' and they fill a quilt up with so much quilting that it winds up being stiff as a board- and the quilt itself is lost somewhere under all that thread.
    but it is a personal choice too- some people like very dense quilting- others like a large--easy quilting style-
    but no matter what kind of quilting a person likes it should enhance the quilt
    I agree with everything ckcowl said. I've seen quilts very stiff from over-quilting. I've seen quilts where the pattern of fabrics and design have been completely disregarded in the quilting and it wasn't attractive.

Blog Entries
    I don't even like stippling, too much quilting w/o direction.

IMHO White on White quilts are made to show off the quilting. On this board is a German woman that hand quilts all colors of fabric to show-off the hand quilting. Her quilts are fabulous! There is a pattern and never too much quilting.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

I prefer the quilting to be the 'icing' on the quilt, but not with nuts, sprinkles and coconut.

I have seen some beautiful quilting but have to say sometimes it does not do justice to the quilt. You start out with beautiful material and once the quilting is done the pattern in the material is so distorted. I wonder why people do that. I personally like a quilt that lightly done . Use all the design work for the boarders if you must

Of course this is a matter of personal choice and every quilter can decide how much quilting he or she wants on a quilt. IMHO there are two different techniques competing against each other on a pieced quilt and it is a challenge for the quilter to find the right balance between those two. They should harmonize.
    On a wholecloth it's a completely different thing: you only work with on single technique on a consistant surface and the structures and patterns created by the quilting don't have to fight against something else. I have never seen a wholecloth that was overdone, especially when the quilt was hand quilted.

I agree that some quilts are over quilted. So many are so beautiful and some are so densely quilted that the borders are uneven. Each to her/his own, however. It's your quilt; quilt it like you like.

I agree...

Blog Entries
    I took a class by a quilter who has written several books on this subject. She had a saying about quilting until it is cardboard, no one sleeps with cardboard. If it is a wall quilt go ahead, quilt it stiff. I agree, I want to wrap myself in a beautiful warm soft quilt. Balance is the key in achieving a work that is funchional as well beautiful.

IF you are referring to machine quilting on a quilt, then yes, it can be overdone. I like to see the pattern of the quilt and the quilting should highlight the quilt, not be the main attraction. I have seen pictures of quilts that I can't even see what the heck the pattern is, sometimes the colors are even distorted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast