Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Quilting...can it be overdone?

You wouldn't put the effort or money on elaborate LA quilting if you had a quilt made with an average pattern and material. IMHO But when you have spent weeks and weeks of very special labor on a very special quilt you usually don't want average quilting or average batting. When you are trying to make an OMG! quilt then everything is carefully considered including pattern, colors, thread, batting, and quilting. Then your choice of quilting is as personal as your choice of all the other factors. And lots of quilters won't like the quilt you are so proud of! LOL!
    Last edited by TanyaL; 04-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I agree that a quilt can be over quilted. I've seen some quilts that were stiff with quilting...when there is that much quilting, it detracts from the quilt top itself.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Blog Entries
    sometimes the quilt top gives me ideas of how to quilt and how dense. I usually save the really dense for wall hangings and table runners.
    Quilting in the Desert

A long arm quilter told me recently that heavy, over quilting is the same thing as cutting your quilt all over, and that it will wear it out faster. I had never thought of it that way, but is that true? I have noticed that a lot of quilts are now quilted heavier, and I would hate to think some of those beautiful quilts are short lived!

personally I like minimum quilting on mine whether I had quilt or have someone do it for me. I prefer the quilt to shine not the quilting, but I have seen some really beautifully quilted pieces on here. AS has been said, it is all a matter of choice.

that shold be "hand" quilt, smile...

Quote Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
    I personally don't care for dense quilting as it does make the quilt stiff. If it's just for show it's okay but to use to cuddle in, I want it soft and easy to drape. I very much admire the beautiful quilting some of the LA's do and I know I would never be able to accomplish anything close to it. It's to each his own. It's your quilt so make it to suit YOU.
    Oh, this says it exactly for me = love to look at the dense quilting but personally prefer the softer quilts!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    oh boy can it be over done..and lately it is all you seem to see. Like the quilter had nothing better to do but try to use every last inch of that 12,000 yard cone of thread....I do not like it and often find it is terribly distracting of the lovely piecing/design of the quilt!

I once asked a LAQer if dense was all she did, and she simply replied that perhaps she was not the quilter for me...right....if you can't do what the customer wants, then perhaps you are not the quilter you think you are!

Then there are then ones that really make me giggle...dense quilting in the open areas and for some reason on SND the pieced sections..causing "bubbles" or "boobs" in the less quilted areas....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
    A long arm quilter told me recently that heavy, over quilting is the same thing as cutting your quilt all over, and that it will wear it out faster. I had never thought of it that way, but is that true? I have noticed that a lot of quilts are now quilted heavier, and I would hate to think some of those beautiful quilts are short lived!
    yes, especially if the quilter used poly thread!

I agree with your thoughts golytwo. Some are really overdone. Just doesn't seem like its a homemade quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Vaden View Post
    I agree with your thoughts golytwo. Some are really overdone. Just doesn't seem like its a homemade quilt.
    Do the densely quilted ones seem "store bought" or not seem like quilts? What did you mean?

I think quilting should alway compliment the actual quilt pattern not distract! And yes quilts should bu cuddly lol!
    ELIZAJANE

Dense quilting is how all quilts had to be quilted in the past. It's only been in recent years, since the invention of needle punching, scrims and bonding that widely spaced quilting was even possible.

I've seen a lot more under quilting than I have over quilting.

My quilting is done to suit me, and I like a loose style so its soft, cuddly but still enhanced by the quilting. When all you see is the quilting designs and not the piecing of the quilt itself when looking at a quilt, its over done. When its 'balanced', then you have a truly beautiful quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    yes, a quilt can certainly be 'over-quilted' if the quilting over powers the quilt-
    quilting should enhance- not take over- and sometimes people seem to just get a bit 'carried away' and they fill a quilt up with so much quilting that it winds up being stiff as a board- and the quilt itself is lost somewhere under all that thread.
    but it is a personal choice too- some people like very dense quilting- others like a large--easy quilting style-
    but no matter what kind of quilting a person likes it should enhance the quilt
    I love your quote - that's me too!
    Love 4 stchen

I agree that just because you can quilt densely doesn't mean it's a good thing for all quilts. As in Scissor Queen's comment, dense quilting has served the purpose of holding it all together for years & years. Now, since batting has improved, we have more options -- although keeping it even is still a goal. I like to consider each quilt individually, & longarm quilt it for it's purpose. For instance, baby quilts that are actually going to be used are nice left cuddly! The batting chosen makes a huge difference, too. Whenever possible, I go for the non-shrinking, QD wool batting -- so soft & still holds together if some spaces are a little farther apart.
    The beauty of quilting is that it allows an individual to make so many unique, creative choices, with not many rules to worry about (as long as it holds together nicely)!

I have seen some intensely overquilted pieces. My first question to myself is, why bother putting in batting.....that sort of quilting definitely does not make the "bed quilt" warm, it has lost its purpose........I really think handquilting cannot be overdone...because the stitch itself is not as confining as a machine stitch...if you see handquilted tight meandering and the same by machine, there is a significant difference. I love to handquilt, but because I want to finish in my lifetime, I do machine quilt, but I really try to keep the same rule of thumb....the piecing makes the quilt and the quilting enhances it, not the other way around. Of course, in show pieces, the opposite is sometimes the rule of thumb, but like everything else in hobbies......to each his own.....

Blog Entries
    Yes, I believe it can be overdone. It can also have the wrong quilting design where it take away from the pieced pattern.
    Kathyj

Blog Entries
    I amso happy to see there are still quilters who share my beliefs, beautiful quilting enhances the pattern. Since the long-arm quilting machines have come in vogue, there are many more all-over quilts, but my own personal preference is quilting to complement the pattern.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3