Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting...can it be overdone? >

Quilting...can it be overdone?

Quilting...can it be overdone?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 AM

The problem I have with LAQ is not the amount of quilting but the thinness. As a hand quilter for years I always used extra, extra loft batting. I love my quilts to be puffy. I just got 2 back from the LAQ and they are so thin that they are more like a bedspread than a quilt. Actually they are like sewing 2 layers of fabric together. The quilting is beautiful but they are sooo thin.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 AM

I feel, IMHO, that the only time this is an issue is when there is a lack of communication, or cooperation between the "piecer" & the LA quilter. That's why I always send up a prayer before I open the box from the quilter! God bless those wonderful LA quilters who can see what we need done on the quilt, but we didn't know. They are artists & unselfish souls.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 AM

I do believe it can be overdone. Too much quilting makes the quilt stiff and takes away from the piecing....JMHO...
Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 AM

I personally love all the dense quilting, but like so many on here it is a preference call.. I think one of the reasons that you see so much heavy quilting is that now days at quilt shows the judges want to see lots of background fill, just my opinion, not to start anything.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I think its really a matter of choice - but I think sometimes the quilting goes overboard - it really depends on the pattern and the quilter - I would love to do one of those really cool dense quilts - but I don't have the artistic ability to even attempt it. I think it depends on the reason the quilt was made - like utilitarian quilt, art quilt/wallhanging, or contest quilts - I have seen quilts that are just a large easy stipple and that is all it really needed and its beautiful - but I do admire the ability of the quilters to do the dense quilting and I think it is very impressive and adds alot of "wow" factor - but it isn't really necessary to make the quilt "beautiful" - at least in my own opinion.
My words exactly!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:18 AM

It depends on your style and what you like as to each their own
Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 AM

You bet it can. Besides losing the pattern of the quilt, overquilting makes it HARD. It is no longer soft, like a quilt should be. I love the look of art quilts, and the heavenly quilting on some of them, but I think it is becoming overdone. I hand quilt a whole lot of quilts. There wasn't as much quilting, but it sure can be a lot prettier!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM

yes, some quilting can be overdone......it should enhance the piecing and compliment it, not disguise it with its own design, but I am sometimes more concerned about under-quilting...I have been quilting for a longtime....and LG for a good many years, but my own rule of thumb in either hand or machine quilting is empty spaces should be no more than the size of the four fingers of one's hand. I know the battings now are so much better than they were years ago, but I believe that if there is no stitching or tying for too long a space that batt will get lumpy after awhile too. This is just my own rule for myself-(and the quilts I do for others).
Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 AM

The nice thing about quilting is that you can do your quilt your way. If that is what you like, do it that way. I personally like a lot less quilting than I see of some of the quilts that are professionally done and shared on here. I want my piecing to show and the quilting to enhance that not the other way around. To each his own.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 AM

I also want a softer cuddly quilt. Some quilts that are over quilted don't look good at all and it takes away from the pattern and material. Plain is better, for me anyway. Maybe if a quilt is being entered into a show that can be different but I have seen quilts that are not cuddly and hard. Why make one!!