Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Class Etiquette Question.... >

Quilting Class Etiquette Question....

Quilting Class Etiquette Question....

Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 PM

have a close friend that owns a LQS and any class charge is to pay the teacher--the reason the shop offers classes is to bring people into the shop to buy stuff--so yes, while it's ok to bring your own fabrics, do plan on spending some $$ there too!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:33 AM

The handful of LQSs that I take classes from are the same ones I do most of my regular shopping. I do not feel guilty bringing items I already have in my tool kit or stash, they know I support them year round.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:06 AM

The only quilt shop near me used to require you buy their fabrics in order to take some of their classes. The same shop now no longer sells fabric, only sewing machines and notions. Of course they no longer require you to buy their fabric for their classes, but they do have a "sister" store about 40 miles away that does still sell fabrics. But most of their classes and special events are at the sister store. This disappoints me because the local shop is the only quilt shop within 40 miles (other than Joann's).
Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 AM

When I took lessons, they didn't "require" you buy from them but they sure pressed to get everything from them. The owner even yelled at me a few times because I bought things from Amazon and not from her. Needless to say, I haven't gone back since the 2nd time she yelled at me.
A few months ago, I had a quilt quilted from a local shop near my daughter. I gave her the top and batting. I didn't have a backing or else I would have used that too. There was no problem using my own things. They got their money with the quilting.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 AM

some places require you buy the kit they made up for the lesson
Old 08-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I liked to support my local LQS. If I took a class or used their facility, I paid for it by buying something I wanted to own, fabric, tools, notions etc. The last two LQS have closed in my area, and now I can only shop on line. It can happen.......
Yes, it can and I do support my LQS. Usually when I take a class I end up buying $50 or $100 worth of notions/fabric. I just find it very pushy to say you have to pay to take a class at the store and also have to buy your fabric for said class at the store
Old 08-19-2017, 08:33 AM

What possible reason does a quilt shop have to offer classes, other than to boost their fabric & notions sales?

Anyone who is continually mourning the demise of the LQS should understand this. Often they even are paying non-teacher employees & overhead to stay open late to allow you to take the class. Of course you should do them the courtesy of buying your class supplies from them. I had the problem of not finding a local store "to my taste" as far as fabric. They had really good teachers & classes. They are no longer in business.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
At my LQS, the price of the class goes straight to the teachers. The quilt shop is providing the space free of charge. I buy what I can there, but the LQS doesn't always have what I want.
As a teacher at our LQS, the price for the class is paid to the shop, I receive 50% of the fee. The shop depends on the sale of items to cover their expenses. Usually the class is designed around the newest books, fabric, etc. so you have to purchase them, as you probably won't have the fabric in our stash.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:16 AM

One of my closest quilt stores went out of business last year. The other one is for sale. With the cost of renting the store front, local property taxes, Electricity, employees and employment taxes, very few quilt stores are likely to survive.

A couple of friends and I were discussing this yesterday. Most of us either can't afford, or are not willing to pay $12.00 a yard for the latest coordinated quilting fabrics. We can get last year's fabrics for half that price online and we don't mind last year's fabrics. Many online stores are in someone's basement. Therefore, they are not paying property taxes for a store, they are already paying for lights and heat and they can sometimes manage without extra employees. 75 years ago, it was not uncommon for people to combine a home and a business. When I worked for Frito-Lay back in the 70's, we had customer who still had his home above his grocery store.

The same thing is happening to bookstores, department stores (J.C. Penny is closing 120 stores), shoe stores and clothing stores. Our economy is changing and is likely to continue to change.

bkay
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 AM

I think you made a reasonable decision to buy some of your supplies at the shop. I hope you enjoy your class!