Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting etiquette >

quilting etiquette

quilting etiquette

Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jolo
I still say,If you dont want someone to make it dont show it or make a pattern of it.
Hear, Hear
Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

as usual, there's a great deal of misinformation posted in this topic. also a great deal of convenient misunderstanding.

a pattern that provides instructions for making a truly unique and orginal design absolutely IS protected by copyright law.

if you see a quilt somewhere and you know the design is unique and original, the quilt - which constitutes publication - is protected by copyright law. you do not have the right to copy it.

a derivative that is only 5% different from the unique and original design is NOT safe from prosecution for violations of the copyright law. the differences have to be so significant that no reasonable person would look from one to the other and recognize them as the same or more than slightly similar. there is no fixed percentage written into the law.

when a design uses blocks from the public domain, then the layout can't be copyrighted. however, the instructions and images in the pattern absolutely are protected.

if you didn't design it, then don't assume you're entitled to copy it just because you like it. take the time to find out whether or not it's legally protected.

put yourself in the shoes of the person who designed the quilt and act accordingly. to ask if you can copy it is a courtesy that might be considered a compliment. to just help yourself might be stealing. who considers that a compliment?

if the rule of "if you don't want it copied, then don't show it to me" takes hold, then we'll see blank walls in galleries and quilt shows will become a thing of the past.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Most quilts are based on quilt blocks passed down from generation to generation. Most of the time, nobody knows who came up with the original design. Those designs are in the public domain, there is more than one way to make all of them, and nobody should care which technique was used to make it (did you speed cut or did you use scissors and templates?).

What bugs me is when the person who made the quilt top has the sandwich quilted by someone else, and does not give that person credit. To me, that is 'stealing' the work of another. I've even heard of some who say, "Well, I paid for it, so I don't have to give anyone else credit." If it's in a show, I disagree. If the quilting is that easy, then do it yourself; if it's no big deal, then why not give credit when due?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You can not violate copyright by making your own quilts. You can violate copyright if you take "inspiration" from a magazine, quilt, picture, etc and then print and sell the patterns. It is the patterns that are copyrighted.
Would this also apply to technique? Just wondering??? I'm not talking about how you cut it or how you quilt it - I'm referring to methods of putting it all together, like the Twist & Shout technique, the bursting stars put together with diamond shapes, the kalidescope, whack & stack - that type of stuff. Not sure if really making any sense :oops:

For example, I've seen pics two wall hangings published in two different books/mags, based on a 3 x 3 pineapple block - colors placements were a slightly different but layouts obviously was pretty much the same; each maker called it a different name. I did a Twist & Shout earlier this year but the color placements I chose bears no resemblance to the pattern I followed - hence my ??? Now I'm rambling trying to explain myself. Oh boy . . . .
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I just don't worry about it unless my quilt is to be sold. Who's to know? I'm not going to be published in any magazines, after all.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Sure the copyrights apply to techniques. Each of those particular techniques are owned by the persons who "invented" them. I would say if you've read about the technique or saw someone demonstrate it, or if it's fairly new, then it's also owned. That means you can't make copies, claim it's your original idea, or teach it without giving credit, paying for the book or pattern, etc.

Let's say you come up with a great time-saving solution, you post the technique on this board and your blog. Someone from the local newspaper reads it and interviews you. There's an article in the paper, and it's picked up by a service and printed in other papers. Eventually, someone from a quilt show reads the article and then you get the opportunity to show people what you've done on TV. Next, quilt shows start calling you and begging you to come in and give presentations/workshops. You get paid nicely (thank you) and a book company wants you to write a small book on the subject. You get paid better. But now I come along and start teaching your technique without your permission. I make the money you would make.

Now ask yourself:
Would you try to stop me?
Would it be enough that I gave you credit?
Would it be okay if I sold copies of your book and make money, too?
If you're really kind, would you let me sign the book while I'm selling it?
There has to be a line.......where is it drawn?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM

I also will share what I show here...I am not a designer so ask away and I will share!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Administrator

techniques are not protected by copyrights.

if a person want to retain exclusive rights and control of a technique, it must be patented.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Everything I know, I learned from somebody else. I read it in a book, saw it on TV, got it from the internet, or learned it in a class. I apply those methods to new things that I learn. I can now pick up a book or pattern and figure out an easier way to come up with the finished product. All those methods have melded together in my mind like a pot of leftover stew. It is rare that I even remember where I learned a trick, and I am happy to share what I know. Do I recommend books, TV shows, etc? Yes, I do. Do I feel that I have to without committing a crime? No.

I have been a teacher most of my life. I have taught a variety of subjects, all of them creative. I fully expect those that I have taught to use that knowledge in any way she or she sees fit. The real crime would be to let that knowledge die for lack of use.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
techniques are not protected by copyrights.

if a person want to retain exclusive rights and control of a technique, it must be patented.
Exactly and a patent is not a copyright. They're two different things. A patent is actually much harder to get.