Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds >

Quilting Guilds

Quilting Guilds

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Quilting Guilds

I want to join a quilting guild. There are several close by and I am wondering what I should expect.

I have emailed 2 and am planning on going to get a feel for the group. I also have several quilt stores close by that offer open sewing time, etc. so I could take a class or meet other quilters that way. I just hesitate to take classes because I dont want to buy another ruler!

So my question is,

What is your experience with sewing groups or guilds?

Thanks.

Kitty
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM

I think you are on the right track to just make a visit and see how you feel. it's your journey. Enjoy.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Over the last 10 years I have been a member of 2 separate guilds. Both guilds suited me fine. I met and made friends and increased my skills. In addition, I have been inspired by the programs and by the quilts that others have shown.

Each guild has its own characteristics, so checking them out is worthwhile.

There are also charity sewing groups that are wonderful.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Go in with an open mind. I belong to a large guild and a bee (I have belonged to the Modern guild in our area too - but with my son's sports schedule, I was never able to make it to meetings). I've made new friends and had the opportunity to take some fantastic workshops to build my skills.

Cheers, K
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Definitely agree with going and checking it out. The first guild I attended was not a good fit for me. It was a smaller number of people and it seemed "clique-y." I tried it for almost a year. No one really talked to me except to say hi and the leader never remembered my name. It probably didn't help that I was kind of shy at the time and didn't try to talk to people. Guess I just faded into the background! I'm sure I wasn't snubbed or ignored on purpose.

Now I go to 2 different ones, one is a regular group and one is a modern group. Most there are quite nice but I've had to make an effort to be friendly and contribute ideas and show-and-tells.

The LQS does offer classes and bus trips to shows/other shops but I haven't signed up for any. Maybe I'm just destined to be more of a lone quilter!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM

I belong to a guild that has between 40-50 active members. It took a while for me to feel like I was a part of it. The guild members were friendly enough but when you are in a situation where everyone else seems to know everyone it's hard to fit in. It wasn't expensive to join ($15) for a year so I gave it a chance. I'm glad I did. I've made friends and learned a lot. I think with any group you have to be a little bolder than is probably in your comfort zone initially so that you can eventually feel like family. I wish my group would do a little more with education and sharing tips but I really enjoy the show and tell for ideas. Give it a try but I'd allow more than one visit to make an assessment.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM

I am a fairly shy person too. My guild is huge - but the workshops are often limited to 20 people, so I had a chance to get to know folks in smaller settings.

Cheers, K
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM

I would try both of them to see which fits best. Of my two closest guilds, one spend too much time following Roberts Rules of order, having committee reports, keeping track of who's on what committee, etc. The other (which I LOVE) is just a group of quilters who get together once a month to visit, swap stories, catch up on what quilty activities are going on around the state and have show and tell. Can you guess why I like this one? I've met wonderful people and have learned a lot.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the input! I have to admit I am a little nervous but hearing the positive responses I am going to give it a try.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

I quit one guild because the business meeting seemed the main goal of the guild instead of having a program and learning something new. I joined a larger guild that has the business meeting not part of the guild day. I like a guild that isn't stingy about paying for good workshops, at least once or twice a year. There are nice friendly members in every guild as well as rude ones. Don't let a few snot members ruin your outlook.