Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guilds >

quilting guilds

quilting guilds

Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 AM

No more guilds for me.I belonged to one i just had to quit.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM

I joined one last year and it is fantabulous. Besides show and tell they have fantastic classes that are extremely reasonable. Also do a lot of charity quilts. They do seem a little cliquish but I do not let that bother me as I am getting so much from the guild. Membership is high and usually 120+ members at the monthly meeting.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 AM

I belong to 2 guilds, one with about 125 members the other with about 30 members. The smaller guild is more to my liking. They quilt together every meeting and someone presents a new item and then they make it. The have an informal day retreat about every six months. It is a very productive meeting. The larger guild has a formal meeting every month and it is a business meeting with a paid speaker for a program. Often the next day is a workshop on the speakers topic. These cost somewhere in the range of $40. There are two retreats a year costing between $140 and $170 for two days. I can buy a lot of material and supplies for that money. We are retired and the fixed income is shrinking by the day. The smaller guild is $18 per year and the larger guild is $30. The smaller guild uses the county fairground buildings for meetings and retreats at $0 cost to the member.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 AM

I have decided that this group will be my guild. I also am from Minnesota and tried a guild a few years ago. I didn't like that when I came in, no one greeted me and the guild members just hung out with their friends in small groups till the speaker was on and then continued after the meeting was over. I went 5 times and never did feel like "one of the group", so I just quit going.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 AM

I've been a member for one year. I've met lots of people who share my love for fabric and this "hobby" that consumes so much of our time. I've heard and seen some marvelous speakers, I'd never have known about, if I hadn't been at that meeting. I've learned about some new techniques as well. We have "Show and Tell" at every meeting, so it's fun to see what everyone else is making. We have a Quilt Show every two years, where there's over 400 quilts displayed. For me, I'm enjoying this group.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM

I have been a member of a guild for about five years. I was new to the area so it has been a great way to make new friends. As you know, quilters are wonderful friends.
We have a quilt show every 2 years. It challenges us to improve our skills. I entered my avatar for display only, missed the judging deadline. It may not have had the design qualities of some of the winners, but it hung straight. We have 138 members. Seventy to ninety are at any given meeting. Members can be part of a small bee.
We have nationally known teachers several times a year, to speak and offer workshops.
Each month we can participate in a BOM with a drawing, winner receives all the blocks. Each member is encouraged to make a kids quilt for a local camp for kids affected by cancer. We also make a quilt to donate to a charity for fund raising. The favorite part of the meeting is show and tell.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:42 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by tjradj
......NOW, I also belong to another club.
There, we laugh, a lot.
It's a senior's group. But they adopted me, even though I'm not 'legal' as a senior. LOL
We sew. We stitch 'n bitch. And we laugh.. We support each other and we ooh and aah over each other's projects. We even 'do lunch.'
There is no comparison of the two.
This sounds alot like me.. When my MIL passed away I slipped in her spot- I Never quilted a day in my life till she passed. We meet once a month and have a pot luck dinner, show n tell and there is absolutely no lacking of encouragement from this group.. I think this group is whats has been keeping me sane these last two years..
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM

I have belonged to my quilting guild for over 20 years. I love being a part of the guild and learning both at our meetings and from other members. There are so many opportunities to get to know new people, to learn and share and be a part of the group.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM

I have belonged to a local guild for many years. In fact, next year I will be doing my second time at being president. That being said, don't give up on a guild after only going to one meeting. It may be that they have an issue to work out, so just listen and then try another meeting later.
Give the guild a chance. I don't like to hear that someone doesn't think they are a good enough quilter to join a guild. That is nonsense. Guilds are supposed to encourage quilting and help teach.
You may find a few members that you really get along with and start a small off shoot group.
Just don't give up on all guilds.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM

My guild was my lifeline when I was learning to quilt. We were in a small town and knew everyone so it was so fun and informative. Sew and share was like a monthly quilt show, tidbits of knowledge were always helpful, the doorprize wonderful, and the visiting irreplaceable. Miss it now I have moved to BC