Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guilds >

quilting guilds

quilting guilds

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by patski
Hi, anyone out there part o a guild? What do you get out of being part of one?

Worth the time and money? Is it just about meetings or more?
For me it got me started on things I would not have tried. I learned how to do a lot of different things from the director and the friends I made there. For $2o a year or $25 to me it is worth it. We also make quilts of Valor for the boys over seas and then we do work for the homeless and for the needy and for those who were in tornadoes and bad storms who lost everything..They are good if you like to meet new people and do things for others. That is my bag but not everyone is like me Thank God>>>>>
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
nab

Yes I belong to a guild. I cannot say I love it. The Christmas party is fun. I do not like the monthly meetings. Some of the times we have good short classes, but not always. I have not decided if I will go this next year or not.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Some people belong to guilds that sound very worthwhile. Unfortunately, that wasn't my experience. I attended meetings for eight months and never felt welcomed there. If I sat at a table alone, no one joined me. If I sat at a table where others were already sitting, no one spoke to me. I liked the speakers, the show and tell, the block of the month, and the challenges, but the unfriendliness drove me out. If you go with the right frame of mind (i.e., not expecting to make any friends), you might like it. And maybe you'll get lucky and find a friendly guild. That just wasn't my experience.

There's another guild in my area, and I might like to give them a try; but it's hard to put myself out there again given the negative experience from before.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM

When I moved to Oregon years ago it took me a couple of years to hook up with another quilter. She came to my cabin up on the mountain and brought her friend, I sharred with them what I was working on. It was very different from they had been doing, they asked me to give a class. (I had taken 3 classes in San Diego before the move) well I had never given a class, so I started working on it, long story short, I was then asked to start a guild. Long story short in what I did to learn how to get a guild started. I started the guild, it took us 3 years to do our first show. But it was a huge hit. We only had 8 members at the time of our quilt show, and we had many new gals join after the show. I was pres for 3 years and we had VERY informal meetings, lots of show and tell, new tips and tricks at each meeting. Our bussiness part was 5 to ten min. tops the rest of the meeting was fun and sharing. I would so love to have a guild like that here, but I am still looking for a quilter to hook up with. I will keep asking every one I meet if they are a quilter untill I find one! Now would be so happy with just meeting others to sew and have fun with.
Would I join another guild? in a heartbeat!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM

I just joined one with about 80 members. i was thinking about this very think. I think so far I have gotten more out of this website in just a few weeks.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM

oops Thing
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I have belonged to a few(moved a few times). My first 3 were great, the last one from the area that I just moved from - I am happy to not be apart of. The new quild, I will meet them this coming monday night. I have heard they are active like the first 3 and not clique`. The last one, they need some new blood, which I was 3 years ago......but that isn't all they need. Think of "the deer in the headlights look", most wouldn't volunteer to help assist with activities, but darn sure wanted to participate. I became president, they all (and I) thought this would help, but most evenings I came home very disappointed among atleast 3-4 others I imagine felt the same. I was able to impliment some new activities and programs, but I feel sorry for the 3-4 others that want so very much to make this group work. And thinkin' about it now, maybe I did move them alittle, my sister-in-law will have to let me know in a couple months.

I join for the adult female conservation that doesn't always included my DH, and promote the many activities that most guilds do. I don't mind the meetings, unless they are longer then 45 minutes long. I was the state chair for a national organization, and meetings should not last longer then 45-60 minutes long and should include some service and community activities. On occassion will visit the very most active group and miss them dearly that I belonged to, and my sister JAG has joined them in the last couple years.

So my advice to you..........check them out, even take a few show -n- tells for the first meeting, this will be a real big sign as to how they and you will precive each other. I am one of those people that want to jump right in, but always remember to watch whom feet you might step on. And remember........enjoy yourself and make it educational for all (you and others).

Originally Posted by patski
Hi, anyone out there part o a guild? What do you get out of being part of one?

Worth the time and money? Is it just about meetings or more?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM

I have been part of three different guilds. I work nights now so that it does not benefit me any more. I loved going to the meetings and seeing everyone's projects, the trading, the classes we took that did not cost too much because of special guild prices. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
KR

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I love my guild. Meetings are once a week, business meeting once a month with show and tell. The rest of the time will be classes, charity quilting, or just doing your own thing which always includes lots of chitchat. We have hand and machine quilters as well as art quilters. Its nice to have the diversity. You should give a guild a try, some like them, some don't.
This sounds like the guild I belong to here in FL. Officially we have over 300 members, but of course not all come at the same time, especially since much of our population is seasonal.

I prefer smaller groups, too, but found that smaller groups exist in the large group......we always sit with the same circle of friends, chit chat, go to lunch after, etc. Plus there are special interest groups....art quilts, miniatures, EQ, applique....and some of those meet at other times of the week.

This is the first guild I've belonged to, but one one the benefits is free workshops taught by the more experienced quilters. And several times a year we have nationally known quilters/teachers come for workshops and lectures.

You might want to give membership in a guild a try. If you don't like it, try another one, or not. At least you'll know for yourself what's good for you.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Karen
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

I'm with "Greensleeves", I love the Quilting Guild I belong to. It's at my church and though we are small, we have classes on new subjects on quilting and we work together making quilts to give to the needed; as well we make quilts for ourselves. My suggestion try a small group first; doesn't mean you have to stay with it.