Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guilds >

quilting guilds

quilting guilds

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM

I belong to a lovely guild (maybe 50 attend) but also to a BEE that is a small offshoot of about 10 people and we do lots of charity work and work toward stuff that the Guild is doing also so the best of both. It keeps me involved more than I would usually be if on my own. We meet 1 X month and have lunch and learn new things and put together projects and visit. The guild by me is very large (300+) and I did not really care for it. They do beautiful work but not warm.

Peg-TX
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM

We have meetings with interesting speakers, who then teach a class.
We also have classes taught by other members. I really enjoy those the best.
Great learning experiences and friendly people in the guild.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM

I brlong to a limited to 30 member guild and love it. We do new projects, have Christmas in July so that we can work on gifts, parties, and retreats. I drive an hour to get there but it's worth it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I belong to a guild, we do a lot of community stuff, seems a little expensive for the classes, but the comraderie is nice twice a month
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM

I have never been to a guild meeting,have wondered if it would be something that i would enjoy with all of the advice I've read here tonight I may go and visit one after the first of the year.
I do however belong to a small informal group that meets 2 times a month,we have a great time visiting but there is not really a place to bring sewing machines so we just do some kind of handwork while there for two hours,if anyone has show and tell we all ooh &aah each others projects,it is fun,but would also like to have some classes and be able to take machine sometimes,because I've been in a lttle bit of a slump lately and maybe getting together would help.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
So sad hearing all the bad experiences of guilds.

When I moved 17 years ago, the first place I went in town was to the local quilt shop, and the second was to the quilt guild. I have been a member 15 out of the last 17 years (work conflict for a couple of years) rejoining again this last year. It is something I look forward to each month.
We do have a very active guild, over 150 members, each meeting includes a speaker or program, we have lots of workshops each year, we do charity quilts, there is show and tell, a Christmas party, a wonderful library of books to check out, and more.

I am a part of a small quilt group, and I know through the guild many small groups have started up-usually by someone standing up during show and tell and asking if others would like to have a group...many friendships have started that way amongst guild members.

If you are going to be new to a guild, it can be at first hard to feel like you fit in, but talking to others about their quilts is a good way to start a conversation, working on charity quilts with others is another way, joining a committee also gets you involved. Before you know it you will feel like part of the group.
I want to stress that my experience was not bad, just not me. They are a great bunch.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Hi, This is the first time I have replied to any comments or questions. You asked about belonging to a guild. I belong to three guilds and I enjoy each of them. They are interesting, they offer alot of educational programs and classes and most members are very willing to share their knowledge and experience with you. I have learned so much and have made very many good friends. We go on quilt retreats and on shopping bus trips or to area quilt shows.
Belonging to a guild can be very rewarding.
There is always clicks and those who may hold the noses to high, but these people are not important. Keep mingleing and you will be rewarded with knowledge and good friends.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM

I belong to two pretty large guilds. The bigger of the two actually has several groups that meet at other times, some weekly, some less. The smaller of the two has lots of community projects, bus trips, and retreats. But at both guilds I have felt welcomed, but that may also be me because I am pretty outgoing and am not afraid to be the first to speak.
The main reason I belong is because it gives me the opportunity to take workshops at a very reasonable cost.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

I used to belong to a wonderful guild that had 225 members, usually 110-125 at a meeting. Loved it, made lots of friends. There were tables around the edge of the meeting area for the charity table, block swap table, gadgets to check out and take home for the month, books and magazines, raffle table, refreshment table. We always had a guest speaker, show and tell. The meeting portion was very brief, as most meeting decisions were made by the executive board/officers on another night.

Moved away and miss that guild!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Jim

My wife and I belong to a wonderful guild. Its twice a month..no structure...no meeting...no officers...just a nice group that has fun sharing and caring and enjoying 3 hours together twice a month. Another of my guild meeting members belong to this group and I told a few others about it tonight.