Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Iron >

Quilting Iron

Quilting Iron

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM

I was given an expensive Rowenta several years ago and hated it until I started using distilled water in it. It is much better now. For my quilting I have a $10 Perfection I bought at Walgreens on sale. It works just as well! I also use a small Conair for small pieces. The 2 big irons have auto shut off (which I need because I forget to turn them off!). The small one does not shut off and I ask my husband to check the quilting room every night to make sure I haven't left it on.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BeachBirdie
I don't think I'll ever buy another Rowenta...I've had nothing but problems with them leaking. Kohl's is always happy to exchange them for me. I've had this latest one for about 5 months now and it's already giving me problems. I don't know what I'll buy next though. I'm curious how many other people have problems with theirs.
Every Rowenta iron I have - about 4 or 5 - has leaked. Definitely not worth the money as far as I'm concerned. I took a class where the instructor had one of the Rowentas that had the water tank and it was even worse than any of the other Rowenta irons I've had. I have a Black and Decker that I'm pleased enough with. It doesn't seem to get as hot as the Rowenta, but it doesn't leak, which I guess is more important to me. Not so much when I'm quilting, but when I switch over to pressing clothing.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

If the Rowenta box says made in Germany it's a good one. Some Rowenta are not made in Germany, they aren't as good quality. Check the box before buying. The best domestic iron on the market right now according to the quilting reviews is the Reliable iron.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Check out my thrift store iron find in Links and Resources section!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 AM

I agree. I've gone through about 5 Rowentas in my lifetime and will not purchase another, either. Macy's is having a sale on the 27th, and i'm going to try the $17 Black & Decker. I've thrown away a great deal of money on the Rowentas.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM

i have had my7 black and decker iron for about 5 yrs. and it was purchased at a thrift stor no telling how old it is i have had to clean it with some iron cleaner you put it in let it stam and than emptie it but other than that i have had no problems i am thinking of gettin a neq one just to say i have a new iron or mably if i take this quilt class they wont laught at my iron again shure has done me a good job
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I also gave up on my expensive Rowenta and got the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I use regular water and it performs great. I do like to iron (vs. press for quilting) and it works great. I've had it about 5 years.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM

I have had my Rowenta now for over 3 years and I really like it. And when I take it with me to quilting retreats or just sewing with my sister or SIL they really like it also.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM

I had a Rowenta iron for 15 years and loved it - it finally started making funny noises, like something was shorting out where the lead met the iron, so it had to go.

Since I hated the thought of one that switched itself on and off, I purchased a new Rowenta, much fancier, which spit and leaked all over the place and the size of it overwhelmed my short arms and small hands (I'm only 4'11'!) It cost about $110. I returned it (I bought it somewhere online, can't remember where).

I then bought the Rowenta Effective from Bed, Bath & Beyond (in town) - it's more or less the same as the original one I had and I knew would be much easier to return if I didn't get on with it (and the assistant encouraged me to return it if that was the case) - I have had no problems with it at all.

The new generation of irons seem to be huge and heavy. I love my iron (I've had it about six months now). The only thing I don't like is that darned auto switch-off. I know it's a safety thing, and a couple of times I've found it still on the next day (no longer hot, of course) - still, it bugs me
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM

DH bought me a Rowenta from Hancocks for Christmas. It has great steam and gets hot quickly. I am not fond of the auto shut-off and it is sooo heavy!! i am getting used to it and I hope it lasts for awhile.