Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Kudos >

Quilting Kudos

Quilting Kudos

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM

RatherBQuilting - at least your MIL is able to verbalize her feelings to someone and I"m glad it got back to you. Have you ever thought about making a quilt for your MIL based on one of her own paintings/drawings? Might make it even more special to her.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM

My husband gave me the best compliment. He wants two quilts to keep in his trucks.
And today I spoke with my grandbabies other Grandmother in Oklahoma, she said the quilt I sent for the next arrival in a week and a half was simply beautiful she loved all the stitching.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 PM

I gave a quilt to my foster daughters boyfriend, Kyle. He came home and one of his roommates was covered over with the quilt. Kyle took it off him, was told "I was using that", Kyle responed "its mine"!
These are grown men out of the Army and in college LOL.
I sent two more quilts with Kyle and Aleigh for the two room mates.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM

I'm seeing a couple of themes in the comments here - Guys CAN get attached to something "girlie" like a quilt, and positive feedback, however obscure, can put quilters into a sewing frenzy so that more quilts are produced, creating more positive feedback, etc. Will it ever end??? Not as long as a quilter can still sit at a machine.

Thanks ladies for adding your comments and I'd love to hear more.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM

I made a nap quilt for a good friend's grandson for his birthday. He hugged and thanked me as expected and I never thought to hear any more about it. This weekend my friend told me that another little boy was over at his house and wanted to use his quilt. Griffin apparently refused adamantly, telling Marcus that "Somebody made that for me and it's special. Go find another one."...awww!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 PM

I made a single Irish Chain quillow for a friend's first baby. Not the usual "baby pastels", but bright BRIGHTS with balloons & fish with black backgrounds and even some gold outlining. I embroidered her name & birthdate on the pocket. About 12 years later he told me that she still uses it every day! :D
Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 PM

that reminds me of the time a friend was having a new baby with a three year old at home. Knowing that competition can sometimes set in with a new baby, I made a quilt with one of the panels with roads, building, etc on it and included with it were two matchbox cars. The backing was strips of fabric in three colors to match the front. I explained to the three year old that the front side was his to use and the back side was for his new brother to use and that they had to share. The father reported back to me a year later that the older brother was still using the front side and made sure that Mom and Dad let the baby use it sometimes. The older brother would wake up early and go downstairs where they kept the blanket with the cars and would play on the floor until they came down...As chance would have it and totally without planning, he also told me that the strips I'd used on the back (red, yellow and green[?]) were in the exact order that when read starting with one color were in the sequence of the flag from one parent's heritage and when read starting with another color it was the colors of the flag from the other parent's heritage.

I saw my friend several years later and he said that the quilt was still around and the younger one was now the one bringing it out and playing with the same cars!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Kathy N
I hope you put your nephew's name on his quilt and specify that it is his so his tacky mom will know it doesn't belong to her! How rude of her, she could think whatever but should not make an ugly remark like that. That kind of remark would really hurt my feelings, and I don't get them hurt easily.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Ktbb: We have a special section at our annual Fall Fair in our quilt show exhibt just for art quilts. That "artist" should come see some of them! Gerbie
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Gerbie - I have a feeling that this individual wouldn't even recognize the artistic aspect even then...so I moved on and now enjoy these activities thru the guild, classes, etc. I just hope I don't ever come across as being that narrow-minded!