Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting machine skipping stitches >

Quilting machine skipping stitches

Quilting machine skipping stitches

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM

it is usually the speed that causes skipped stitches.....going faster that the shuttle can make the stitch....especially on curves.....slow down just a bit and see if that helps........
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM

The last time this happened with my frame and machine (different than yours) there was something wrong with the FMQ foot. It was totally worn out. Check to see if the foot has any "give" sideways. As well if you have a thread stand, lower it to about 1" above the spool.
Hope this helps.

Carole
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think part my problem was that I had my take-up rail too high, because as mentioned, my thread was breaking. Another thing I discovered was that one of my sensors had gotten loose. I want you to know I went through all of your suggestion other than re-winding the bobbin. Don't know which tip worked but something did and my kaleidoscope quilt is on it's way to being quilted.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Nope, not a needle problem, but probably a PRESSURE FOOT BARR problem. My machine only skips stitches going around curves when the pressure foot isn't low enough. What happens is when you are going around the curve if the fabric isn't stabilized with the pressure foot the needle is pulled away from the bobbin hook resulting in skipped stitches. The pressure foot bar needs to be only a credit card thickness away from the feed dog (I know you don't have any) are of the machine when the pressure foot is in the down position. It doesn't matter what type of foot you have they are adjusted the same. Every time I change my pressure foot I have to readjust my bar...

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM

I had that problem with my voyager 17. It could be the sensors on the carriage are not making full connection with the rails. My big stitches were happening when I was in the process of a curve or side to side motion. I had to take the machine off the carriage and adjust the springs so the rollers made better contact with the rails and under carriage. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM

I'm in the middle of that problem now. The side to side goes slow and makes BIG STITCHES. But only with my SLR on! So, I was in the middle of a graduation quilt, so I just turned off the SLR until I finish the quilt. THEN I will have to get my DH to help me lift that Voyager off the frame and take a look at the back sensors! I'm doing a panto, so I just slowed my speed control down and my stitches are actually pretty even without the SLR. Quilt height on the take-up bar can mess you up. If mine gets too high, my needle will drag on a fluffy quilt (which all my DGKs love). I check mine on every pass.