Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting retreat >

Quilting retreat

Quilting retreat

Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Ours is held a a remote Community Hall and the ladies of the community do the cooking for us. Good, old fashioned cooking. There are mostly farmers in this area but they have the community hall and we are regulars there every spring and fall. We bring our air mattresses and bunk out on the floor. It is so much fun.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
My ASG has tried twice to plan a retreat but so far, no success. It's very hard to find a place that will provide rooms, sewing space and food at a reasonable price anywhere in the Orlando area. We've tried church camps, BS,GS camps but each had something lacking. The hotels are out of sight.

Where do you all go for retreats. Maybe you can come up with some ideas that will help us.

We do have Camp Challenge but never thot of that. Good idea.
Are there any Catholic retreat houses there? How about scout camps? Sometimes we do a hotel, but they're usually quite expensive and believe it or not, they don't have enough light in their ballrooms for sewing!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM

I just got back from one. We had a game where every time you had to unsew, you put a quarter in one jar and your name in the other. At the end of retreat, one name is drawn to win the $$ in the jar. This year it was over $50.00!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM

where in the world do you go to one in east texas...we have a farm in Grapeland, and live in anahuac..have wanted to go for such a long time but don't know where to find one. please let me know.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM

We have played strip poker. Each player brings strips of fabric cut a specific width. Then play four to a table. Deal cards and play around. High card wins. At end of evening its is nice to have a pattern that uses the strip width you have chosen. Good way to get a variety of fabrics.
You do not have to come up with any prizes either.
Have a great time on your retreat.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM

No but after reading a series of the Elm Creek Quilts, it sounds like a wonderful time! Maybe someday!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM

For east Tx check with stitchn heaven in Quitman. Debbie Luttrell does several a year. You can pull her site up on the internet. Tell the Jo Lofland gave you the info. Jo
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM

I love retreats and go on three per year - all close to home (1+ hours) LOTS of fun. One game we play is Left/Center/Right (or some such order of directions...) It's played with dice and we bring fat quarters to play with. We start with 3-5 per person for each game. You roll the dice and if you roll L - you pass a FQ to the L, R-pass right, C-put one in the 'kitty' in the center. There are also 'no action 'dots'. When you run out of FQ's, you're not out because someone next to you may get a R or L and pass you a FQ and you're back in the game. It's a lot of fun and the round winner gets all of the fat quarters in the center. I also play it wirh pennies with the grandkids.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM

We have several retreat places In and around where I live I used to go more then I get to now.. I have been going over 5 year and one I go to called the Compass Centre in Mt Calm Tx is east of Waco.
Great food and great fun for all. She also has scrap booker fly in and ship there stuff and come retreat. They bring way more then we do as quilter or Embroiderys.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM

You all can play game at home spend the time at your retreat sewing. This is when I get the most done. I go to bed as early or late as I want and finish one project after another. I did 6 tops one weekend for wounded soldiers.