Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting retreat

I had one of the best weekends attending a quilt retreat that lqs had. We went Friday afternoon and left Sunday afternoon. There were 9-10 of us there and we had such a good time. We stitched, shared ideas, played games and of course ate quite a bit. One of the ladies said she had friends that couldn't understand why grown women would want to have a slumber party and sew.
    We made a date to have another one in Nov and I love these. Any others get to have close to home retreats?

Yes. I just went to my first last weekend. We had a blast. Going again next year as the one in Sept I'm too busy with football.

I'm going to one about 25 miles away in June. It's just an overnighter but Carol Doak is going to be there. Threads and Beds (part of the LQS, Threads of Time) has open retreats once a month, we just have to register ahead of time and let them know when we'll be there. We can stay overnight, several nights or just go for the day. The also have other "specific group" retreats that are closed to the public. It's great though to have the fabric store just on the other side of the door. If you run out of thread or need a fabric it's right there.

I love quilt retreats and look forward to each and every one. I love having time to sew as much or as little as I want, go to bed and get up when I want, talk a lot, eat a lot, and just have FUN! We share quilting tips and have impromptu tutorials, plus "ooh" and "ahh" over everyone's projects. Sometimes we'll take a side trip to a quilt store, and that's fun too as many will offer a discount for retreat groups.

My guild sets up two weekend retreats per year, plus a couple of day retreats, all within an hour's drive. Also, I organize a private retreat for a few friends once a year at a facility about two hours away. They're always such fun and I get a lot of work done.

One of my favorite yearly retreats is a camp for special needs children, and we were just there a week ago. Ours is the only adult group allowed to sleep at the camp. We bring our own linens and pay for meals they prepare, but the real payment for use of the facility is for each to donate a twin size quilt. We've been going there at least 10 years, usually with 18-20 participants, so we've donated near 200 quilts! It's so great to see our quilts used in many places....on the beds, draped over the couches, or in the theater where kids can snuggle up on the floor to watch movies. Not only is this a super fun retreat, but it makes us feel so good to know we're bringing comfort to the children.

I highly recommend quilt retreats!!!

Pam
    I belong to a group that is hosting our second annual retreat Aug 6 & 7. We are having 2 professional teachers come in from Tennessee, as well as several local teachers.

Everyone is welcome!!! Come on down, we had fabulous reviews from last years attendees.

It is in Mt Carmel, ILL. PM if you would like more info.

Hey I'm going on one at the end of this month. I'm incharge of games. Can you tell me what games you played I'm looking for ideas.

I have never been on one. Glad you had a good time.

I'm teaching at one in two weeks! I can't wait. I go on quilting vacations every year with two quilting friends and plan on hosting some local small retreats.

Blog Entries
    I've gone to Sisters the last 5 years(Sisters, Oregon) but can't go this year. It's a real big show with 5 days of quilting classes, and a big outdoor quilt show on Saturday. It's getting too big. This year, the ladies I went to Sisters with last year, were going to one in Tillamook in October. It's a much smaller one. Much more like a retreat. Room and board. Really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by karielt
    Hey I'm going on one at the end of this month. I'm incharge of games. Can you tell me what games you played I'm looking for ideas.
    We played Quilt bingo. Just like regular only the letters were spelled out acroos the top of the card as Quilt. Everybody brought 8 fat quarters to win as prizes. After the bingo everybody put there closepin with there name on it in a basket & we drew for rest of quarters. Was fun.

Wow, it's only an hour and a half from me! I couldn't get the calendar on their website to work and would love to know what's coming up.

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karielt
    Karie, we have also played Quilt-O. It's a real game for quilters. We use M&M's as our markers (I always run out of them :lol: )

Another game we play is called the left/right game. Everyone brings an unwrapped fat quarter and stands in a circle with their fat quarter. Someone reads a story of the Wright family. Every time the word "left" is said, you pass your FQ to the person on your left. Every time the word "right/Wright" is said, you pass your FQ to the person on your right. At the end of the story, everyone gets to keep the FQ they have in their hand. Fun game! If anyone wants the actual story, PM me. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun by posting the entire story here.

We play another game with mini clothespins. Everyone puts one clothespin on their collar/shirt (somewhere visible). We choose a word that if that word is said and someone catches you, they get to take your clothespin. We play this game at our Christmas gathering and often choose the word "snow" as the word you're not supposed to say. I have a blast with it because I try to say the word almost immediately and then lose my clothespin. Then I can say the word all night long and people think they can get my clothespin, but by this point, I don't have one! Of course I can take someone elses if I catch them saying the word. When you deem the game to be over (we choose a specific time to end it before it starts, say an hour or so), whoever has the most amount of clothespins gets a prize.

I absolutely love going on quilting retreats and go on as many as I can afford. They are so much fun!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you had a great time. I just got back from a retreat too. I can't believe how much I got done. And let me tell you, it was a tough weekend for my credit card. Having a quilt shop right there was waaaaay too handy. But I got some great fabric and ideas for a few projects.

And in July, five friends and I are going to Sisters for the outdoor quilt show there. We rent a house and spend a whole week sewing. We usually take some classes, but this year we all decided to just go to a few lectures and spend more time actually sewing. We rent the house from vacation rentals.com. The gal who owns it is so nice. She knows we go every other year and she doesn't rent the house out for quilt show week until after she hears from me whether we want it or not. Of course, every even numbered year, we want it.

If you have a chance to go to a retreat GO. They're a ball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I'm going to one about 25 miles away in June. It's just an overnighter but Carol Doak is going to be there. Threads and Beds (part of the LQS, Threads of Time) has open retreats once a month, we just have to register ahead of time and let them know when we'll be there. We can stay overnight, several nights or just go for the day. The also have other "specific group" retreats that are closed to the public. It's great though to have the fabric store just on the other side of the door. If you run out of thread or need a fabric it's right there.
    Carol Doak tells a hysterical story of a trip she and her friend went on one time. Carol is a very funny lady in addition to being a talented quilter.

I am lucky enough to have two groups who love to retreat. One is a group of friends and the other are my sisters+others. Actaully I went to a third retreat this spring to fill a spot for someone! So that means at least 4 retreats a year.... whooohoooo! We laugh, eat, and laugh some more! It's only 20 miles away and DH calls me a couple times a day but I love pulling an all nighter quilting with friends.

Blog Entries
    You need to turn your phone off, everyone has voice mail! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Yes. I just went to my first last weekend. We had a blast. Going again next year as the one in Sept I'm too busy with football.
    I live outside of Dallas. Where was the retreat you attended? Which group?

I love retreats. I have one in less than 3 weeks.

We had seek a word and crossword puzzles that were downloaded from the internet and they related to quilting words. Last year there was a tray loaded with sewing notions ( maybe about 15-20 items) and we got to look at it for just a minute or so and then had to write down the items. We also had a scavenger hunt while sitting at the sewing tables and had to hold up the item. Fat quarter, charm pack, sewing needle, spool of black thread, bobbin,etc. It was fun.

I guess I am just plain 'Lucky!' Living here in Arizona not only do I have access to several retreats through my guild, local daily workshop/retreats at the LQS's - we have over 13 quilt shops in the Phoenix area. My friends and I also have our own little mini-retreats at each other's homes.

We also have Quilt Camp in the Pines and Quilt Camp in the Desert. Both of these provide national and international quilters for classes varying from 1/2 day to 6 days long. I think you'd like the experience. I know I have. The link is: www.quiltcamp.com If your family doesn't know what to give you as a nice treat this is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon321
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    I live outside of Dallas. Where was the retreat you attended? Which group?

I love retreats. I have one in less than 3 weeks.
    My group is called Sew Sisters. I am new, my 1st one. We go to Greenbriar Retreat in Eustace Tx. It's about 13 miles out of Athens going towards Canton. Another one is scheduled in Sept & then next year in April.

LOL! I just got back from one yesterday afternoon. Friday thru Sunday. I really needed this, as I have been working overtime for 8 months. If anyones phone rings, we all get to say really loud, "Hello Honey!" This year we really didn't play any of the games as we were all trying to get our Mystery Quilt done for the quilt show in Sept. It was fun to see everyones choice of fabric with the same pattern. Only two of us changed up the border a little. Don't know the name of the quilt pattern, but the border was to be 4 patch clear across, and one lady had a border print fabric and mitered the corners and I am doing my 4 patch set on point. :) Some of us made pillowcases to be sent to our Soldiers, and two of us also worked on Relay for Life quilts. Wonderful food, fun and fellowship. Lots of laughter and new friendships!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I go to a retreat at Mt Calm ,Tx called Compass pointe. You can google it. We stay thur-sun and they have a store right there in the main area. So tempting. They fix us all meals and leave us snacks for all thru the day, flavored coffees. Wish there were more retreats closer. I would. This one is at the end of august. I also signed up for one in Quinlan Texas next to Stichin Heaven quilt shop. It's in April. I am going to look up more too. LOL

They are fun, aren't they? I just got back from 4 wonderful days at Camp Abnaki Vermont. It is near Burlington and the Champlain Valley Quilt Guild holds a spring retreat and a fall retreat there. My sister belongs to this guild and invited me to attend. It was beyond my expectations! I am going again in sept!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    They are fun, aren't they? I just got back from 4 wonderful days at Camp Abnaki Vermont. It is near Burlington and the Champlain Valley Quilt Guild holds a spring retreat and a fall retreat there. My sister belongs to this guild and invited me to attend. It was beyond my expectations! I am going again in sept!
    The Vermont Quilt Festival is held in the same area at the end of June.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast