Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quilting retreat

Ours is held a a remote Community Hall and the ladies of the community do the cooking for us. Good, old fashioned cooking. There are mostly farmers in this area but they have the community hall and we are regulars there every spring and fall. We bring our air mattresses and bunk out on the floor. It is so much fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    My ASG has tried twice to plan a retreat but so far, no success. It's very hard to find a place that will provide rooms, sewing space and food at a reasonable price anywhere in the Orlando area. We've tried church camps, BS,GS camps but each had something lacking. The hotels are out of sight.

Where do you all go for retreats. Maybe you can come up with some ideas that will help us.

We do have Camp Challenge but never thot of that. Good idea.
    Are there any Catholic retreat houses there? How about scout camps? Sometimes we do a hotel, but they're usually quite expensive and believe it or not, they don't have enough light in their ballrooms for sewing!

I just got back from one. We had a game where every time you had to unsew, you put a quarter in one jar and your name in the other. At the end of retreat, one name is drawn to win the $$ in the jar. This year it was over $50.00!

where in the world do you go to one in east texas...we have a farm in Grapeland, and live in anahuac..have wanted to go for such a long time but don't know where to find one. please let me know.

We have played strip poker. Each player brings strips of fabric cut a specific width. Then play four to a table. Deal cards and play around. High card wins. At end of evening its is nice to have a pattern that uses the strip width you have chosen. Good way to get a variety of fabrics.
    You do not have to come up with any prizes either.
    Have a great time on your retreat.

No but after reading a series of the Elm Creek Quilts, it sounds like a wonderful time! Maybe someday!

Blog Entries
    For east Tx check with stitchn heaven in Quitman. Debbie Luttrell does several a year. You can pull her site up on the internet. Tell the Jo Lofland gave you the info. Jo

I love retreats and go on three per year - all close to home (1+ hours) LOTS of fun. One game we play is Left/Center/Right (or some such order of directions...) It's played with dice and we bring fat quarters to play with. We start with 3-5 per person for each game. You roll the dice and if you roll L - you pass a FQ to the L, R-pass right, C-put one in the 'kitty' in the center. There are also 'no action 'dots'. When you run out of FQ's, you're not out because someone next to you may get a R or L and pass you a FQ and you're back in the game. It's a lot of fun and the round winner gets all of the fat quarters in the center. I also play it wirh pennies with the grandkids.

We have several retreat places In and around where I live I used to go more then I get to now.. I have been going over 5 year and one I go to called the Compass Centre in Mt Calm Tx is east of Waco.
    Great food and great fun for all. She also has scrap booker fly in and ship there stuff and come retreat. They bring way more then we do as quilter or Embroiderys.

You all can play game at home spend the time at your retreat sewing. This is when I get the most done. I go to bed as early or late as I want and finish one project after another. I did 6 tops one weekend for wounded soldiers.

Make sure you take more then you thinkl you can do you don't want to run out of projects.

Blog Entries
    I have been looking for a retreat here in OR to join in on for some time now. I'm always too late for some reason. I'm not giving up yet! :roll: All of you have made it sound so wonderful and fun! Can't wait :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Wine Woman
    I have been looking for a retreat here in OR to join in on for some time now. I'm always too late for some reason. I'm not giving up yet! :roll: All of you have made it sound so wonderful and fun! Can't wait :-D
    Let me know if you find one, I'm interested!

We had our first retreat in April. 20 of us, one vendor and lots of fun. We had workshops on bargello quilting, embroidery and a quilting potpourri which covered a variety of topics. Everyone wants to do it again so we're planning for next year.

I recently attended a quilt camp at a YMCA camp about 45 minutes from where I live. It was wonderful even if the beds were hard as rocks and I didn't sleep more than a few hours from Thursday Morning to Saturday evening. There were classes you could take or just bring your own projects to work on. Everyone brought pillowcases they made for the 1 Million Pillowcase challenge. The pillow cases were demonstrated at the camp and if you did not bring one or more, you could make them there. The pillowcases went to the pediatric unit of the local cancer center. We were provided with a 12" block pattern and were asked to make one or more blocks using that pattern. The only stipulation was to use off white for the lights. For every block you brought, you put your name in a jar for a drawing. 5 people went home with at least 12 blocks all of the same pattern. I'm looking forward to going back next year.

I just came back from a retreat in Tyler TX and we played a game called Left, Right Center. You can find it at drug stores, Walmart, any place they sell card games etc. Instead of playing for nickles or quarters, we played with fat quarters. Each person enters the game with three fat quarters. All you do is
    roll the dice according to the game. What fun. And the winner
    goes home with a ton of fat quarters (depending on how many people play.) The game comes in a little cylinder with 3 dice in it. The dice have L's, R's C's or just a dot. Follow the directions in the package. You won't regret it.

Wine Woman ask if you can get on a waiting list. when they have last minute openings

Most retreats need a min. There are time the group coming had to many last minute drop out. If they call you they would still get the better rate. I was on a list like that for a while at the Compus Centre in Mt Calm.

I've never been on one. Sounds like fun and productive.

I have never seen this game in Canada. Are the expensive? What is the actual name?

Hi, Where is your quilting retreat. I would love to attend one, but would like one somewhat close to home (MI LP).

Left Right Center Game. It is simply a game of rolling the dice. You roll three dice....if you say roll an L, a C, and
    a dot, you would then have to give a fat quarter to the person on your left, one to the center (pot), and the dot means you get to keep one. Then the next person rolls and
    does the same thing. You only are allowed to roll as many dice as you have fat quarters left in front of you. When
    the pot gets full of all the fat quarters, the last person left with a fat quarter wins the whole pot. The directions in the game pkg. are very clear. It is real simple. Try it!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely..You are correct. My bad. Thankas for catching that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Texas granny..that ias a good idea to get on a waiting list. I usually go with my guild but I could always go again on my own. Love to meet new people. This is a good idea. SOmetimes they email and ask for "fillers" for last minute cancels. I will check into it. I love that center, the food etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boopisit
    where in the world do you go to one in east texas...we have a farm in Grapeland, and live in anahuac..have wanted to go for such a long time but don't know where to find one. please let me know.
    The one I went to is in Eustace Tx. It's Greenbriar Retreat. Went with a bunch of ladies from Latexo, Grapeland, Center, Fairfield & Palestine. There is also one that Stitchin Heaven out of Quitman TX puts on. Check them out as they may have one coming up.

Debbie there is a retreat coming up at the on sunday the 16 of may its an Emboridery retreat but I know its not full you could still come and quilt if you don't do Emb.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast