Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting retreat

Janie i got to two a year now. A group of us goes up to Concordia, KS to Manna House. This is a retreat house ran by the Sisters of St. Joseph. This one is usually a guided retreat.

Now a group of us rents the retreat house next door to the quilt store in Manhattan, KS. It's nice. It's about 10 of us and we sew all night, eat and sew some more or just relax. I only live 20 miles from their in Junction City but it's well worth it to me. I don't have to worry about anything except the meal i will prepare and I almost always get a quilt top done. If you want some additional info you can email me and I will get back to you.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like you had the best weekend :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I go to a retreat at Mt Calm ,Tx called Compass pointe. You can google it. We stay thur-sun and they have a store right there in the main area. So tempting. They fix us all meals and leave us snacks for all thru the day, flavored coffees. Wish there were more retreats closer. I would. This one is at the end of august. I also signed up for one in Quinlan Texas next to Stichin Heaven quilt shop. It's in April. I am going to look up more too. LOL
    Do you mean Quitman, TX. Thats where Stitchin Heaven is.

I have been to Greenbriar once. It is wonderful. Going to Compass Cetre in Mt Calm Texas in less than 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I go to a retreat at Mt Calm ,Tx called Compass pointe. You can google it. We stay thur-sun and they have a store right there in the main area. So tempting. They fix us all meals and leave us snacks for all thru the day, flavored coffees. Wish there were more retreats closer. I would. This one is at the end of august. I also signed up for one in Quinlan Texas next to Stichin Heaven quilt shop. It's in April. I am going to look up more too. LOL
    Do you mean Quitman, TX. Thats where Stitchin Heaven is.
    Debbie, there are lots of retreat centers in the North and East Texas area. PM me if you want more info. I will go any time. Almost all guilds have retreats in this area. Also if you will give Melissa (Compass Centre owner) your e-mail she will contact you when groups need more attendees.

Quote Originally Posted by karielt
    Hey I'm going on one at the end of this month. I'm incharge of games. Can you tell me what games you played I'm looking for ideas.
    Personally I hate games but since you're in charge. . . . .

Why not give everyone several pieces of fabric or blocks, blindfold them (one at a time of course) and have them put together a quilt on the design board. Then there's the ever popular word scramble with words related to quilting.

I am leaving Wednesday morning to drive from Spokane to Burley Idaho for a 3 day retreat with the lady that created the Wonder Cut Ruler. We will be making two quilts..yippee....I am taking husband along, so he can fish in the Snake River. THEN, when I get back, I am going the following Wednesday on a 5 day quilt retreat where I am going to do what one of you gals said in a note, eat, sleep and sew. My Sister in law and I are going, there will be 12 of us at Lutherhaven outside of Coeur'd alene, Idaho. This will be exciting because they are the FIRST retreats I have ever been on. Couldn't stand it, had to do them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by karielt
    Hey I'm going on one at the end of this month. I'm incharge of games. Can you tell me what games you played I'm looking for ideas.
    We played Quilt bingo. Just like regular only the letters were spelled out acroos the top of the card as Quilt. Everybody brought 8 fat quarters to win as prizes. After the bingo everybody put there closepin with there name on it in a basket & we drew for rest of quarters. Was fun.
    I JUST got an idea!
    Quilt BLOCK Bingo!
    Photo copy several pictures of each quilt block, say, twenty of them. Place ONE picture copy in the caller's box and everyone who is playing gets to pick out, without looking, perhaps ten little pix and puts them on their personal board. As the caller calls the boxes, turn that one over on your board. (If you have gotten four of them, turn all four!) The first person with the card all called wins a fat quarter!
    Finished with a game? Put them all back in a bag, except for the one of each the caller has, and blind-pick again. Keep going until all the prizes are gone. Perhaps each person could be asked to bring a small prize, quilting referenced of course, same monetary value and you can have great fun. Want an even more fun addition to this game? If someone has won something you want, you can take it from them! This could be such fun!

They sound like so much fun. I want to go on one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    They are fun, aren't they? I just got back from 4 wonderful days at Camp Abnaki Vermont. It is near Burlington and the Champlain Valley Quilt Guild holds a spring retreat and a fall retreat there. My sister belongs to this guild and invited me to attend. It was beyond my expectations! I am going again in sept!
    The Vermont Quilt Festival is held in the same area at the end of June.
    I know...my sister volunteers at the festival every year. She wanted me to come back for it but if I did I wouldn't be able to go to the Sept retreat! My sis lives in Colchester and I would almost leave Texas for Vermont......till long about Dec-Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by janiesews
    I had one of the best weekends attending a quilt retreat that lqs had. We went Friday afternoon and left Sunday afternoon. There were 9-10 of us there and we had such a good time. We stitched, shared ideas, played games and of course ate quite a bit. One of the ladies said she had friends that couldn't understand why grown women would want to have a slumber party and sew.
    We made a date to have another one in Nov and I love these. Any others get to have close to home retreats?

Quilt retreats in Australia are as scarce as hen's teeth. Any that are held are usually in capital cities, and cost an arm and a leg to go to. I'd need to sell my first born to be able to go to one. HEY! May be that isn't such a bad idea after all (you don't know him). :cry:

Twice a year, April and October, a group of 6 of us take over a wonderful Bed & Breakfast down on Cape Cod. The Innkeeper is a remarkable quilter herself and we have a fabulous time. I've never laughed so much in my life! Can't wait for October.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Deb Luttrell puts on fabulous retreats in Quitman, there is also one out of Quinlan Tex, I have been to that one too. I love retreats but cant afford them now. Anyone who can afford to go really ought to try at least one. Jolo

Our group has a fall retreat at a member's home. 9 or 10 of us and she has enough beds for all of us. We work on our current project and learn from each other. One member likes to cater food, so she plans all that and we pay her for it. We really get close during this time and it doesn't cost so much as some of you have reported.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcsewer
    Our group has a fall retreat at a member's home. 9 or 10 of us and she has enough beds for all of us. We work on our current project and learn from each other. One member likes to cater food, so she plans all that and we pay her for it. We really get close during this time and it doesn't cost so much as some of you have reported.
    My guild has had 2 a year for over 10 yrs to which I always went, great fun. No more for me. Gotten way to expensive.

For the past 3 years friends and I have gone to my son's country place (this yr. 6 of us) in upstate NY. We'll be there for 7 days - each responsible for one dinner. He has an huge living/dining area, well lit, that looks like a quilt shop while we're there.

Never been to one and they do sound like fun. One of the ladies, that is no longer in our guild ,has at least one retreat a year but it is by invitation only. Another one was canceled because lack of participation. Too expensive.

Sounds like a lot of giggling fun!

Blog Entries
    One year, My DD and SIL had a condo in Florida right on the beach,they let me and 2 of my quilting buddies have it for a week rent free. We took my van,slit expenses 3 ways and off we went. Oh so much fun. we cut out 3 quilts,sewed,ate and giggled there and all the way back, I still look at the pics and smile. Jolo

I think ours was pretty reasonable. We stayed Fri, Sat & Sun. left after 1:00pm. All meals. It only cost us $160.00 tax & all. Don't know any other place you can stay that cheap & have meals provided. Cost that much for some hotels a note.

I was at a girls only weekend does that count? We bring our machine, shopped at Keepsake in Meridth, NH, and two shops, got most of my to do sewing done. Finished 2 UFO bags, cut and sewed 4 rail fence placemats, did some redwork. Oh yeh, we roasted marshmellows, watched the Derby with hats on and a touch of Kenucky brandy. We go up Friday morning and return Monday about 5pm twice a year. We are down to four of us:( But we have great fun!!
    We have been doing this for about 10 years, at one time we could sew from 10am until 10pm but out "older bodies" will not let us do this anymore. LOL

We do not have quilt retreats near me, but I love reading all your posts. Sounds like you have a wonderful time. Keep us posted.

Our guild has a retreat every year. When you get the chance, don't pass it up. They are just too much fun. I am hosting one next week for my small quilting group. I am lucky enough to have a business with living quarters behind it. 2 bedrooms and full kitchen. We will move in on Monday morning and quilt away the days. We will pack up to go home on Wednesday sometime. We all bring food and of course snacks, and our own drinks. We don't have any planned activities. We just bring what we want to work on.
    Can't wait.

Aren't quilting retreats the best? Our guild hosts 2- 5 day retreats every year. I am usually the first to sign up. My vacation!!!!!!!
    We are allowed to quilt on anything we have. Some I know are restricted to say-the project must be from their shop, you can only use their fabric. Not my kind of retreat. I like to work on my ufos. I shop at more them one shop so my fabrics vary.
    Our guild also rents our meetin place a few times a year and we have what we call in town retreats. (our out of town one is 50 miles out in the sticks, very remote and quiet). We just had an intown retreat and it was so much fun. I'd love them monthly but that is just me.
    I quilt with my guild plus three other groups of ladies. yes, I love to quilt with my friends. You learn so much from others.

Yes, as a matter of fact I attended a 4-day retreat April 22-26th. This LQS owner sponsors 2 retreats in the spring and 2 in the fall plus a Super Bowl retreat. I went with 7 of my best quilting buddies and we had a wonderful time.

My ASG has tried twice to plan a retreat but so far, no success. It's very hard to find a place that will provide rooms, sewing space and food at a reasonable price anywhere in the Orlando area. We've tried church camps, BS,GS camps but each had something lacking. The hotels are out of sight.

Where do you all go for retreats. Maybe you can come up with some ideas that will help us.

We do have Camp Challenge but never thot of that. Good idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast