Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies >

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM

This is all so funny!

Now the first post that started it all, lol! When you said you held your mouth "just right" I really laughed because I do that too! And I also obsessively watch the seam when I know the bobbin is going to run out.....also I've stitched merrily along never noticing that it did! Having to repin and resew is such a pain!

And I have removed a bobbin when it was getting low, and so far the quilting elves haven't come along to remove the thread for me. I haven't really talked to my machine yet, but it's fairly new so we're just getting to know each other. :)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 AM

I have one when I am using my embroidery machine. If I am making something to sell I sit with my hand over my mouth watching the needle go up and down. And I talk to my machine! Like "Please don't screw up" and "Why?" when the thread breaks. It hasn't learned to talk yet but beeps at me often!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM

:-) I go faster when bobbin is low..never works for me. But often I'll be sewing along and all of a sudden my machine will get a nest. I stop Check threading and bobbin and needle will even change all three to fresh and nest after nest.
I just throw my hands up and tell her, "alright have your way, I quit.'
When I go back a day or so later it works perfectly. Very troubled machne.. it couldn't be moi????????/ :?:
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I have about 4 thimbles and none REALLY fits just right, so I MUST take a tiny bit of batting and wrap it around my finger to hand quilt. Buy a smaller thimle???? But that would take money away from getting more fabric. I just keep using the batting until it stretches out and then cut of a bit more. Fortunately I have bunches from leftovers.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
In a way I do the opposite, once I finish a seam and I am not sure if I have enough thread to make it to another end I take the remaining thread off the bobbin and rewind it fresh. I know, I know I waste thread but I guess it is just a small part of my OCD. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops:
A girl after my own heart! My daughters say it's not OCD, it's CDO (in alphabetical order, as it should be) :lol: :lol:
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM

It feels good now to laugh at myself for some of the same silly situations - knowing I'm not alone in any of them now.
Carry on my quilting buddies. I too am burning the midnight oil and watching that bobbin thread either stretch, disappear or make to the very end of the seam.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 AM

There is a forum listed The Quilter's message Board on what to do with scraps. I learned a couple tricks from that list. Unfortunately it was a couple months ago that I tossed out most all the small scarps. Now I keep a plastic grocery bag on the machine table for those.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if someone set up a video camera on us while we are sewing...how many faces do we make without knowing it? I bet that I make some good ones while concentrating, when things go wrong, and I have been known to jump up and yell "YES or ALRIGHT" and do a victory dance, when a complicated seam comes out nicely!!! (Not sure if audio would always be a good idea at my house though :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol: )
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Don't want audio available when I am sewing!! Yikes.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

LOL - don't think audio here would be printable sometimes either! :shock:

Re the faces, i KNOW I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating. Must look REALLY attractive! :shock: :lol: