Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies >

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Oh gosh, keep those audio/videos outta my sewing room! The blue smoke is telltale enough!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I wonder if someone set up a video camera on us while we are sewing...how many faces do we make without knowing it? I bet that I make some good ones while concentrating, when things go wrong, and I have been known to jump up and yell "YES or ALRIGHT" and do a victory dance, when a complicated seam comes out nicely!!! (Not sure if audio would always be a good idea at my house though :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol: )
When something intricate goes right in my sewing room, (quilting or clothing construction), I am generally alone, so the statement "dang!!! I'm good", can often be heard!!! :lol: ....well, if there was anyone to hear it. HEHEHE
Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM

I've done that too. Also when my car is near running out of gas and I'm not sure how far the gas station is, so I drive slower hoping to make it last longer. Couple times it didn't and one of those days was the coldest day in January. Long story, too red face to tell it.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I sometimes laugh like a maniac if I do something REALLY good or something is really fun! Happens a lot when I'm making One Block Wonders and some of the patterns are too cool for words! :D

At the moment I sew in a tiny cupboard upstairs (well, it's a room not much bigger than a cupboard!) but we're in the process of converting the attic to an extra bedroom, bathroom and new sewing room - then I can be 'The Mad Woman in the Attic'! :mrgreen:
Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I sometimes laugh like a maniac if I do something REALLY good or something is really fun! Happens a lot when I'm making One Block Wonders and some of the patterns are too cool for words! :D

At the moment I sew in a tiny cupboard upstairs (well, it's a room not much bigger than a cupboard!) but we're in the process of converting the attic to an extra bedroom, bathroom and new sewing room - then I can be 'The Mad Woman in the Attic'! :mrgreen:
I also sew in "a closet". My hubby is trying to figure where to make me a bigger space. It will probably be in the basement....so I will be the crazy lady in the dungeon. And happy to be there!!! :D
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM

I waste alot of thread because I want a full bobbin when I start, I usually hold the thread and let the bobbin drop and roll until the bobbin is empty. I think I got drop and roll from teaching first aid and what do you do when you are on fire. Maybe I should buy some more thread. I really don't like when my thread colors don't match so I think that is why I get rid of the bit that is leftover on the bobbin.
I also get very messy when I sew, among other things (should see my desk), and I love to clean up the mess and be all tidy for a day or two, sometimes I make people look at my clean room.............
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I waste alot of thread because I want a full bobbin when I start, I usually hold the thread and let the bobbin drop and roll until the bobbin is empty. I think I got drop and roll from teaching first aid and what do you do when you are on fire. Maybe I should buy some more thread. I really don't like when my thread colors don't match so I think that is why I get rid of the bit that is leftover on the bobbin.
I also get very messy when I sew, among other things (should see my desk), and I love to clean up the mess and be all tidy for a day or two, sometimes I make people look at my clean room.............
oh well, now if we are going to talk idiosyncrasies AND cleaning...I could say quite a bit.
I think your either a cleaner or your not.
Then there are the slobs. you have to be really, really bad to be a slob.
I don't think too many quilters qualify, bc how ya gonna manage to make a quilt if you are that bad?
Now, about those of us that have to have 'room' and order to create:
Here is why I don't ever feel that I have enough room, and why I am constantly bugged about it:
I collect paint cards...even when I am not buying paint, lol.
Sometimes I do though, and I am making other purchases, even in that dept. I use lots of masking tape!
I am a famous taper, tier, gluer, clipper, binder...rubber bands, tacks, gold prong thingy's, paper clips, binder clips, clothespins...if it was invented to hold things together, I probably own it, and it is in home-cave.
Bungee cords, lol. Extension cords. String? pul-leaze, have I got string.
Ribbon? cords. belting. elastic. snaps. metal trouser thingies, zippers.
ok.
I could go on and on about being compulsive about habits and doing weird stuff.
I have to always put two pins in the top of a piece of material, so later I won't wonder which is the direction of the grain, and which way is crossgrain. Have to know!
I have to always keep fabrics folded neatly. If it has tails and such, I creatively fold. Some ppl will trim and put those pieces in a scrap box or bag. Nope. Like to keep like fabrics together, as much as possible.
Won't use one of those coiled tape measures. You know, the plastic ones that you roll back up...they can stretch from being rolled tight etc. and not be accurate.
Always have to have a cloth on my clear acrylic extension table for setting tools down on, so it won't get scratched.
Have to keep snips of selvedge edge: 2.
One for my 'record' book, i.e., catalog that holds receipts, page by page with dates and descriptions, and yardages of all fabrics. I use pattern tape to tape a snippet sample of the fabric near the number of that purchase on receipt.
the other snippet gets pinned to the tag on the fabric. That way after i wash that fabric, I can put the right tag back on it. Whats on the tag?
It's either from the store with time, yardage, price and my own notes...manufacturer, description, and catalog number and page, and number of item on receipt or I make my own. A book on a stamp! :roll:
yeah, if I go on, your all gonna find out, why my other nick is quiltnCRAZY! ttfn, mousie :wink:
Old 11-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Oh my quiltincrazy. If I did all that I would never quilt. You post made me very tired and just a bit crazier! :lol: How can you say OC any plainer! Of course, I have no quilting idiosyncrasies!! (NOT)
Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Quiltincrazy,

Oh my goodness! I am exhausted! :)
I would love to meet you! You sound like a really fun person! and really organized, something which I am not, but would love to be.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM

I hope Mousie never comes by this way. She is my husband's perfect woman!! That man catalogs EVERYTHING!!!! His white socks are numbered so you always wear the same ones together! Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that. Now poor Mousie will have another item to catalog.